2002 BMW 330Ci -- What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

My father has a 2002 BMW 330Ci that he bought new a few years back. He only drives the car for fun, and it isn't his daily driver. Consequently, the car to date only has about 5000 miles on it! It has only had one oil change to date, shortly after 2000 miles, using the BMW 5w30.

Anyhow, my question is regarding what oil should be used next. The UOA's with the BMW 5w30 (it's castrol right?) seem to be fairly good, but we're always looking for an improvement. Any suggestions? I was also wondering if anyone knows where I can find a list of oils that are BMW approved. I've looked around, but have been unable to find one.

Just wanted to say that this is one of the best forums on the internet. Besides being a wealth of knowledge, I've never experienced the genuine helpfulness and friendliness that I have on the forum anywhere else on the internet! A big shout goes out to all of you for that!

Thanks!
Mike

BTW,

I should add that the car is in Victoria, BC, where my parents live. It's a temperate climate, so it rarely ends up below freezing, and summers never go above 90F, unlike Saskatchewan! Thus, I wouldn't call temperature extremes a real concern.

Mike

0W-40 should be a good choice for that BMW. I'd change the oil at least twice a year, during the spring and before winter, if the car gets driven so little. And tell your dad to have fun a bit more often, for crying out loud.
wink.gif

No kidding eh? He usually drives it only once or twice a week for about 50 kms a go! I know that if it was mine, I'd be using it a lot more! It sees about 70% highway, 30% city I'd say.

The dealer for my mothers E39 530i changes it every 20,000ks with their BMW synthetic. However I like to give it a change midway with Shell's Helix Ultra 5W40. Dont really like the idea of any oil going 20,000ks...

I think your BMW would like GC.My VW GTI VR6(made in Germany all the way
grin.gif
)seems to love GC.

I'm leaning towards using GC or Mobil 1 0w40...It will probably end up being a matter of what I can find more easily. It seems that so far, GC is easier to find than Mobil 1 0w40. Both Walmart and Canadian Tire in my area carry GC, but I have yet to find the Mobil 1...All they seem to carry here is the usual grades.

Leo, you're right. The interval that BMW specifies for their oil changes seems absolutely ridiculous! I'm sure if you followed the changes on that onboard computer, you would be soon driving a sludge monster.

quote:

Originally posted by sir slack-a-lot:
I'm leaning towards using GC or Mobil 1 0w40...It will probably end up being a matter of what I can find more easily. It seems that so far, GC is easier to find than Mobil 1 0w40. Both Walmart and Canadian Tire in my area carry GC, but I have yet to find the Mobil 1...All they seem to carry here is the usual grades.

I don't know if you have these stores in Sask., but in Ontario there is a chain called Partsource, which is owned by CT, which sells 0w40 M1. You can also get M1 0w40 from an Esso lubricants distributor too.

quote:

I don't know if you have these stores in Sask., but in Ontario there is a chain called Partsource, which is owned by CT, which sells 0w40 M1. You can also get M1 0w40 from an Esso lubricants distributor too.

Pat, thanks for the suggestion. We do have Partsource here in Sask, but when I was in there about 2 weeks ago, they still didn't have any Mobil 0w40 there. I'm wondering if what they had has been sold, or it's just a matter of time before they get some in. As for GC, there seems to be tons in the stores here in Saskatoon. Both Canadian Tire and Walmart have it, and no one seems to be competing with me for it! Unfortunately, my folks live in BC, and they don't seem to have any Partsource stores there. I'll have to find out if there are any Esso distributors out in Victoria or Vancouver that I can get my hands on some Mobil 0w40 from....otherwise I think I'll suggest that my dad go pick up some GC...what do you think? Taking some out when I go back at Christmas isn't an option, since I'm flying.

quote:

Originally posted by sir slack-a-lot:

quote:

Pat, thanks for the suggestion. We do have Partsource here in Sask, but when I was in there about 2 weeks ago, they still didn't have any Mobil 0w40 there. I'm wondering if what they had has been sold, or it's just a matter of time before they get some in. As for GC, there seems to be tons in the stores here in Saskatoon. Both Canadian Tire and Walmart have it, and no one seems to be competing with me for it! Unfortunately, my folks live in BC, and they don't seem to have any Partsource stores there. I'll have to find out if there are any Esso distributors out in Victoria or Vancouver that I can get my hands on some Mobil 0w40 from....otherwise I think I'll suggest that my dad go pick up some GC...what do you think?

GC has worked out very well for me in all of the engines I've run it in, and would probably do very well in his BMW also. But I'd still suggest getting a UOA done on it just to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back