2001 Toyota Avalon - 1MZ-FE engine......"cleaning oil"

Does anyone have a recommendation for an oil that has very good cleaning/detergent properties?

Forgot this link in my message above:

Hi everyone,
I was recently given a 2001 Toyota Avalon with 99,100 miles. I don't know that much about the maintenance history on the car, other than it was "dealer" serviced. The Toyota 1MZ-FE is a known sludge engine, and as such truly requires a 3,000 mile OCI. I don't know if this car had 3,000 OCI's, but I do know that it was left outside and not driven for the better part of three to four years. At this point the car seems to run well with a good amount of power, but I don't know if there are any sludge issues.
I am looking to do some "cleaning" oil changes on the car to "baseline" the engine and hopefully clean it up a bit.
I know the oil was changed in October of 2020 by Pep Boys and they used an unknown oil and a cheap Purolator filter. I changed the oil on Saturday and the oil in the car came oil very black, with a few hundred miles on it.
When I changed the oil on Saturday, I used a Fram Ultra oil filter and Kirkland 5w30 oil. I don't how long I will keep that oil/filter in the car, but I will probably change it much sooner than 3,000 miles.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an oil that has very good cleaning/detergent properties? How would you rate the Kirkland oil in terms of it's cleaning prowess? What do you think of my filter choice? Should I stick with the Ultra or go with an OEM Toyota oil filter? Would a good "high" speed/RPM run down the highway help expedite the cleaning process?

Thank you in advance!
As far as I've heard probably the best oil for cleaning that is not a dedicated flush oil is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

You sure got some great answers on your engine and it’s care.
Let me add a suggestion for your trans.
My ‘02 Avalon had a separate drain plug for the differential. It filled with the transmission fluid when you filled the trans, but only drained when that plug was removed. It changed the drain volume from 2.5 quarts to just over 4, so to me it was worth it. The separate drain was only around for a few years I think, but you are right in the middle of that time period. Worth taking a look, or having a trained tech give you an answer.
Good luck with the car. I got 162k with frequent factory PCV valve and hose service, 5k OCI M1 5w30.

Less is more. Engine is probably fine. Just go to WM and run the proper spec syn oil, switching the brand each oci, to let the different detergent packs clean it a little. While you are trying the different brands notice if the motor seems to "like" one brand better.

Back