2001 Tahoe - 1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

I purchased an 01 Tahoe this summer, which currently has 70k on it.

I will be doing my 1st oil change in the upcoming month. I am currently about 3k into this interval, and my oil level has not moved at all. I am unsure what the PO used, but was assured that they stuck to strict 3k intervals.

I was set to run PYB for about 5500-6k for the near future (it is a low use vehicle, no towing, and mostly highway miles).

With the Menards sale of QSUD, I am re-thinking the process. My concern, though, is going full synthetic at this juncture. Not because of a misconception of synthetics causing leaks, but unsure what is behind the gaskets in a 14 year old engine and the effects of increased cleaning.

One thought was to run a 'frankenbrew' of 3 quarts QSUD and 3 quarts PYB.

What are your thoughts regarding this upcoming oil change?

QSUD at $1.99 a quart is tough to beat. I'd use that for the upcoming oil change unless you already have some PYB. If you already have the PYB, the 'frankenbrew' would be OK, but you're probably better off running pure PYB.

Either way, stock up on the Menard's QSUD!

What oil filter are you planning to use?

I already have the PYB, so I certainly can just stick to that.

I've been running the QS filters for years on several vehicles. Cut one open recently with 5800 on it, and it looked fine.

Unless someone can say with certainty that the QS filter is a mistake, I'm sticking with them.

So far I haven't seen any evidence of media tearing in the Quaker State filters, so I'll continue to use those and I'd think you'd be safe using them as well. I've used quite a few of them over the years and I've never had an issue with them. They're hard to beat for $1.99 on sale!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Don't do the frankenbrew on purpose. That would be silly in my opinion.

+1. Just stick to one brand. Use the extra stuff for your mower and other small machines.

Regarding changing to synthetic, wont be an issue at all. Just be sure to use a quaility filter regardless and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Either pyb or qs will be fine along with the qs filter
Dont overthink this

Very true, no doubt about it. My main concern is whether a full syn might open up a pre-existing weak spot.

My gut feeling is to run with the PYB.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I already have the PYB, so I certainly can just stick to that.

^^This

The PYB that you already have will clean up just as much gunk as the QSUD will, so if there is any leak being covered up now it will appear no matter what you do.

Stock up on the 18 quarts of QSUD now and use the PYB for this first change and wait until the QS filter go on sale for $1.99 again and snag 3 of them. You'll be set for the next 2-3 years.

Both good oils. If I had both on the shelf in my garage I would run the QSUD first and then the PYB. Can't go wrong with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back