2001 suburban 5.3 190,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this truck and have all repair receipts since the last owner bought it with 130,000 miles on it . The current oil has about 2000 miles on it , I do not know the brand currently in the truck . His past oil change receipts indicate everything used from high mileage oils to a run with Quaker state QSUD. It appears relatively clean to me with no foul smells and the filler cap and neck have no sludge at all in or on them. I want to go synthetic as Michigan winters can get really cold but at this mileage am i asking for high consumption and or leaking issues ? Is a high mileage oil a better choice ?

As long as it doesn't have too much consumption already it should be ok on anything you put in it. Synthetic should be fine, if you want both go with PP HM or Synpower ML.

If it has some oil leaks, what iv'e seen is common leaks from oil pan gasket and valve covers.

Also does the oil pressure gauge work? And 5k oil change intervals are really good for this engine.

off topic: I would also have front wheel bearings checked as well.

6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 should be OK.

Those Chevy truck engines have shown less wear with 40 weights though.

If you change to synthetic, you will find out it consumes or has any leaks. If you are worried about that, switch to a high mileage synthetic such as Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic. 5 qt jug of that stuff is only $18 at walmart. Also at Advance Auto Parts (AAP) they have a special going on this month with Havoline Pro DS 5 qt's and Purolator Pure1 filter for $21.99. This video will help you out with questions you have at switching to synthetic with a high mileage engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwvTHhOciU8

Any good 5W-30 will do the trick, though I prefer Pennzoil synthetics in mine. One of these winters I'll give M1 0W-30 a try.

No need for a HM oil unless you're consuming an excessive amount.

Enjoy that 5.3! Take care of it and it'll go another 190k.

oil pressure runs 60 to 70 at throttle ..Both front hub assemblies have been replaced at a cost of 387 dollars each. Yikes. Brakes have been serviced recently all rotors and pads and lines replaced between 175,000 and 185,000 . He pulled a heavy trailer had the transmission serviced at a quick lube with a complete fluid exchange service at 183,000 a leak was noted he returned at 184,000 and had a top off of the transmission and then went to a local trans shop and the repair order is really vague.. as far as i can tell some lines were replaced some more fluid was added and no leaks were found at that point . Transmission fluid has no foul smell or color other than normal. Shifts smoothly at this time , no reverse slam . My concern would be with the differentials as thats about the only thing i dont see any repair order for at some point . He stated he didnt use the 4X4 hardly at all. I cycled through the 4X4 options and didnt notice anything unusual

-35 ? Yeah, you're gonna need a full synthetic 5W-30.
shocked2.gif

I used to own a 95 K1500, 03 Tahoe, 05 Z71 Suburban and currently have a 2000 Silverado. I've had a little experience with full size GM trucks/suv's.

If you live near a Wal-Mart, I would go with Valvoline Max-Life 5w30 and either AC Delco P61 or FRAM TG3675 filters (both are "long" version).

Regular Max-Life is already a Synthetic Blend and the only "High Mileage" oil I would consider using normal OCI's. The full-syn version is of limited availability in my area, if you can get that at a reasonable price, then go with it.

Furthermore, you should look through the paperwork to see if there was any service done to the transfer case.

GM trucks and SUV's from 1999-2007 had an issue known as "transfer case pump rub" where an internal component caused a small crack/hole to occur in the housing of the transfer case and subsequent leak of the fluid only while driving.

This caused failure of the transfer case and possible damage to other parts of the drivetrain from the chain reaction of events.

More information can be found here..

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/p-4017-transfer-case-pump-upgrade-kit.aspx

I am not affiliated with Merchant Automotive, but I think they were the first company to develop and sell a fix for these transfer cases. It seems the problem is "not if, but when" these units will fail. MA is well known in the Duramax/Allison crowd.

If there was no evidence that the transfer case was repaired or serviced with updated parts to prevent the "pump rub", I would buy the kit from MA and install it for preventative maintenance.

You may want to flush the power steering system with Valvoline Maxlife P/S Fluid. I just disconnect the return line and clamp a hose to it to drain to a jug, then refill the system as it pumps it out. Quick and painless.

The 4-wheel drive system on 99-07 GM's sometimes had issues with the "encoder ring" and I think the 4-wheel drive engagement solenoid. Those were the two main culprits when the "Service 4wd Soon" message appears on the instrument cluster.

Good luck with your new purchase.

I wish I never sold my 2005 Suburban Z-71. I had bought it used and it also came with a stack of documented services. I loved that truck!

Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic and a fram Ultra!

Also change the fluid in those differentials to a good 75w90 Synthetic. I like Amsoil SVG or Valvoline Synpower in my diffs.

Don't forget to service the Transfer case before winter either!

I've seen that transfer case pump rub failure in person and it's not pretty. One of our trucks at work that serves snow plow duty had it happen, wore a hole right through the case housing. Thanks for posting that upgrade kit link!

I'd hedge my bets and run Mobil1 HM 5w-30. Even if you have no leaks now, 14 year-old seals are getting brittle and HM oils may prevent leaks before they start. Mobil1 HM oils are typically SL-rated as they have too much phosphorous for the SM/SL standard, which should be a good thing for your Suburban. And you can find it at virtually any Wal-Mart.

My recommendations/what I would use

1) Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30
2) Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5W-30, great oil but super rare in my area, use it if you can find it for a reasonable price in the correct grade
3) Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend 5W-30, always a good bet for 5,000-6,000 mi. OCIs with older engines
4) Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30, another full synthetic high mileage but pricy & hard to find in my area

Any of these oils with a Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back