2001 Silverado 4x4 Z-height. Torsion bars and Towing.

Had the torsion bar keys (and mounts) replaced last year on advice from a mechanic. He cranked them up which leveled the truck and then he aligned it. Ride has been good and I don't mind the extra approach when I get off the pavement. I'm replacing tires soon and want to make sure it is aligned afterwards because I don't want to have to replace tires prematurely. If my wife has it her way I'm going to be towing a new relatively small travel trailer before too long. I don't like the idea of the truck being level before hitching up a trailer... so when I have the truck aligned I would like it brought back down to factory height.

Should I adjust the torsion bars before I take it to be aligned or trust a mechanic to get that sorted out on an alignment rack? I'm still a little confused about getting the right Z-height or whatever. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you afraid the truck is going to squat when the trailer is hooked to it? What size is the travel trailer? If it's built right, it shouldn't be heavy on the tongue and your truck shouldn't squat much if at all. If it does, it may be too big to tow with your truck.

If you do just want the front end lowered, you can turn the adjusting bolts to lower it back down. You need to have it on a completely surface and raise both front wheels, supporting the frame on jack stands...allowing the wheels to hang freely. Turn the bolts and count the turns so you make sure they're equal....maybe even measure or count the threads of each bolt.

You'll have to lower it back down and drive it around the block to get it to settle, then check if it's sitting how you want it. Absolutely have an alignment done AFTER you get it where you want it.

Are you afraid the truck is going to squat when the trailer is hooked to it? What size is the travel trailer? If it's built right, it shouldn't be heavy on the tongue and your truck shouldn't squat much if at all. If it does, it may be too big to tow with your truck.

If you do just want the front end lowered, you can turn the adjusting bolts to lower it back down. You need to have it on a completely surface and raise both front wheels, supporting the frame on jack stands...allowing the wheels to hang freely. Turn the bolts and count the turns so you make sure they're equal....maybe even measure or count the threads of each bolt.

You'll have to lower it back down and drive it around the block to get it to settle, then check if it's sitting how you want it. Absolutely have an alignment done AFTER you get it where you want it.
Thanks for the tip! Travel trailer will probably be around 4,000 lbs (I'm hoping well under 4,000 lbs to start, but likely with a GVWR a little over 4,000 lbs). I remember hauling a decent load (well under payload capacity still) right after the truck was leveled and aligned. It was slightly unsettling because the rear was lower than the front and the front-end didn't feel as 'planted' as I'm used to when hauling. That was kind of the basis of being nervous about towing.

If the weight distributing hitch is set up correctly ( and you should be using a wd hitch) the truck won't squat down in the rear.

Back