2001 Saturn SL2 1.9L, Amsoil 0w-30 5500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good UOA, I didn't think it would be good as the T-stat was reading too cool and the CEL was on. Those have been fixed after the UOA was taken. Also, there's a small leak that needs to be fixed too, probably a valve cover gasket on the back side of the engine. Hard to visibly see it.

I'm looking forward to the next UOA to compare this not-so-good data with data that reflects a fixed t-stat & secondary air injection pump vacuum line that cured the CEL light.

I ran out of Amsoil 0w-30 so I used M1 as a top-off.

Analysis done by Terry at DysonAnalysis.com

Code:

Year: 2001

Make: Saturn

Model: SL2

Engine Size: 1.9L

Total Mileage: 87,200

Fuel Type: 87

Fuel Additives: FP

Oil Use Interval: 5,500

Oil Type & Grade: Amsoil 0w-30

Make-up Oil Added: 1qt M1 0w-20

Make-up Oil Added: & 1/3qt Amsoil 0w-20

Oil Additvies Used: LC

Crankcase Capacity: 4qts

Sample Date 12/28/08

Air Filter: K & N

Oil Filter: M1

Element PPM

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 13

COPPER 5

LEAD 0

TIN 0

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM n/a

CALCIUM 2,574

MAGNESIUM 19

PHOSPHORUS 812

ZINC 902

MOLYBDENUM 46

MANGANESE n/a

SILICON 20

SODIUM 46

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 30

BARIUM n/a

cST @40C 46.9

cST @100c 8.7

SUS 210F n/a

Flashpoint F 335

Fuel % 1.16%

AntiFreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % n/a

Oxidation 47

Nitration 12

TBN 3.7

TAN 2.31

I'm beginning to think that our little Saturn engines aren't the easiest on oil.

ToyotaNSaturn, out of curiosity how far does your thermostat go? Mine seems to reach a hair under 3/8 on the temperature scale. I think I need to replace my thermostat, because I think it is stuck open since my fan never seems to come on.

Lots of fuel. Didn't warm the oil up good?

Wear was good. But the additives/diffent oil throws this off.

Last edited:
In all honesty, it's not that bad considering the extra fuel from the bad thermostat.

Stuck open thermostats can cause all kinds of problems, and I've ridden in a lot of cars where the gauge is stuck on cold. I replace them ASAP once I know they are stuck open.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm beginning to think that our little Saturn engines aren't the easiest on oil.

ToyotaNSaturn, out of curiosity how far does your thermostat go? Mine seems to reach a hair under 3/8 on the temperature scale. I think I need to replace my thermostat, because I think it is stuck open since my fan never seems to come on.

With a new Stant 195F thermostat, the gauge on my 96 SL2 reaches about 15/32.

+1 to what The Critic said.

The MPG really didn't start to go up, even with a new 195 T-stat, until the emissions problem was fixed. Then is started to hit 35MPG easily on the highway. Prior to that, 33MPG was tops.

The secondary air injection pump had a vacuum tube leak. Since it started at the same time as when the alternator/regulator gave me fits last year I thought it would be an electrical issue.

Thankfully, it wasn't. Just a couple bucks for a tube splice and then about 50 miles of driving, then the code went away. Saturnfans.com had a couple topics on this problem: bottom line, check the vacuum lines first.

I was VERY happy that it was a cheap fix.

I think it's a pretty good run and you changed it out at the right time. Bet it would be better with an oem AF.

Results don't look that bad at all considering all the issues. SSO does well in the presence of high fuel, no exception here.

Are you planning on going back to synthetics/long OCI's once you get all the issues sorted out?

Originally Posted By: GMFan

On my 96 SL2 the temp gauge while cruising along is between 3/8 and 7/16ish, with a brand new 195 thermostat. On my 97 SL1 just a hair less, with an OEM made in germany 185 degree thermostat.

A really stuck open T-stat will have you not much over 1/4 if at all while driving. I'd say you're fine honestly. (Been there, done that, on both cars)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back