2001 Regal OLM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Regal (3800 nonsupercharged) has the GM oil life monitor, but mine doesn't have the "driver information center", which was optional on the car. So instead of the informative readout I have a light that comes on which says "Change Oil Soon". There is no % reading. So if I drive it until that light comes on, what % would that be equal to?

I'm wondering how soon after that light comes on does the oil need to be changed, because I only have access to a garage on weekends, and if it came on Monday morning, I could easily go 350 miles before the next change.

The owner's manual just says it should be done "soon".

I have the info center with the readout. Though I ve never ran mine till it says to change it I think you would be safe doing 350 miles easily! Did you ever find out how long you previous changes were good for??

The light has never come on while I've driven the car.

I cannot account for the first 4 or 5 years of the car's life since my grandfather was driving it then, and then for 3 years it just got the standard once a year change even though it was only driven a couple hundred miles a year.

I've been doing 5K OCI and resetting the computer each time, but I feel confident that it can go above 5K and I would like to see when it will tell me to change the oil. I'm doing mostly highway driving (at around 2K rpm) so I feel pretty confident that over 5K will not be a problem.

It currently has QS Peak in it, then I have enough for 2 changes of Formula Shell, and then I have some YB to use up, and then Mobil 1. Jeez, I think I just laid out my oil change plans for the next 4 years.
crazy2.gif

Quote:
I've been doing 5K OCI and resetting the computer each time, but I feel confident that it can go above 5K and I would like to see when it will tell me to change the oil. I'm doing mostly highway driving (at around 2K rpm) so I feel pretty confident that over 5K will not be a problem.

Don't reset the computer and see when it expires. If you're doing mostly highway and not stressing things, you may very well change it again before the indicator tells you to.

I had a 2002 regal ls with only the change oil soon light. In 5 years, it never warned me. When you first started the car, the light would go on for 2 or secs like all the other lights on the dash but thats it.

I reset the light just to make sure and 100k later, no warning yet! I guess it never worked. On my 05 cts, there is an OLM + % showing. I'm at 9% right now (10k miles on the oil) and nothing pops-up. I think it is going to warn me at 5%.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Spyke, that's interesting. I will definitely watch out for that. I would definitely prefer the DIC with the percentage, but I only paid 3K for this car so I can't complain too much.

jdeare, did you bought it from me? lol

I'm asking cuz I sold my 2002 regal ls for 3k$ 2 months ago! lol

for the olm, do some 3k or 5k miles OCI but dont reset the olm. After 20k miles, if it never pops up, its not working.

lol... no, my grandmother decided to stop driving, I got it from her...

That's exactly what I was planning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back