2001 odyssey won’t start after removing and reinstalling battery.

Friend called me and says she put a new battery in her odyssey. She mistakenly crossed the positive and negative terminals and now when you turn the key nothing happens. I’m here now looking at the van now, is there a main fuse or certain fuse I need to check?

Cheap option - main fuse blew. I forgot to disconnect the battery when replacing an alternator on a Lexus IS300, and alternator wire grounded to the chassis and blew main fuse. Car started up surprisingly, but all lights and indicators were acting as if key is not even in ignition. Would shift out of park or do anything really aside from being able to start.
Expensive option - ECU is fried. Getting one from junkyard may or may not require a reflash/reprogram from dealership.

Your friend got lucky. The output diodes of the alternators 3 phase bridge probably conducted through the stator windings of the alternator and kept the voltage from going too high in the reverse polarity direction before the fuse blew to disconnect the incorrectly applied voltage, so that the electronics of the vehicle (computers, and the audio system) did not get destroyed.

If in the future if the battery goes dead when the vehicle sits for several days without being used, have an alternator rebuild shop check the output diodes for one of them failed electrically leaky in the reverse direction.

If the vehicle does not keep the battery charged enough one of the alternator output diodes may have failed open.

The bottom line is that the alternator took a beating if the battery was connected reversed even for a very very brief time. If the electrical system shows any hint of a problem in the next year or so, have an alternator rebuild shop go over the alternator.

Nope, thank goodness. Went to Autozone and grabbed one for $4.99.

That must be a different one than I'm thinking. In our son's '12 Accord, it's got a 100a fuse in the engine-bay fuse block and it's nothing like a regular blade-type fuse or any type of fuse that I've ever seen.

Please post a picture or part number of this fuse. Thanks
Not sure of the AZ part # (I had her keep the original box,original fuse,and receipt in her glove box) but it looks exactly like this one I linked from Walmart.com. It’s fuse #42 in the Odyssey fusebox (the large fusebox in the left side of the engine bay).

Honda has used that type of main fuse for a long time. They are connected with screws through the straps. It should go without saying to disconnect the battery before poking a screwdriver into the fuse box.

Back