2001 Mercruiser 5.0 EFI oil recommendation?

We just bought this boat in April, and I found an unopened container of Penzoil 40HD stashed in the boat. Online manuals I have looked at said to use 20w-4o or a 40w would work. I want to change this oil, before I go too far. I know, now, Mercruiser is recommending the 25w-40 synthetic, in most Mercruiser 5.0's. This motor only has 154 hrs on it, if that matters. Im interested in the comments.
thanks,
Jim

Actually Mercruiser oil is sold at WalMart and is a reasonable price. Some use 15W40. People often change the boat engine oil in the fall so it might have already been changed and ready to go.

The gear oil should also be changed unless you have a receipt saying it was done in the fall. Drain the old gear oil into a jar like a mayo jar to look for water or metalic particles.

Hopefully you know enough about power boats to be a safe boater. If not PM me.

We just bought this boat in April, and I found an unopened container of Penzoil 40HD stashed in the boat. Online manuals I have looked at said to use 20w-4o or a 40w would work. I want to change this oil, before I go too far. I know, now, Mercruiser is recommending the 25w-40 synthetic, in most Mercruiser 5.0's. This motor only has 154 hrs on it, if that matters. Im interested in the comments.
thanks,
Jim
you won't go wrong by using the quicksilver 25w40 or 15w40 i ran both and never had an engine issue

Actually Mercruiser oil is sold at WalMart and is a reasonable price. Some use 15W40. People often change the boat engine oil in the fall so it might have already been changed and ready to go.

The gear oil should also be changed unless you have a receipt saying it was done in the fall. Drain the old gear oil into a jar like a mayo jar to look for water or metalic particles.

Hopefully you know enough about power boats to be a safe boater. If not PM me.
I had a 70 HP Evinrude back in the early 70’s, when my folks had a cabin at our local lake. Did plenty of boating and skiing at that time. Haven’t owned a boat since early 80’s, and this is my first Mercruiser. I changed the lower unit oil last week.

the Mercruiser units are very good, and reliable, your probably running a bravo outdrive matched to the 5.0 ?

The 305 Chevy engine was reliable enough, just not a power house.
Mercruisers run a 160° thermostat so real thick oil isn't all that necessary.
15W-40 should be fine.

My 2¢

I had a 70 HP Evinrude back in the early 70’s, when my folks had a cabin at our local lake. Did plenty of boating and skiing at that time. Haven’t owned a boat since early 80’s, and this is my first Mercruiser. I changed the lower unit oil last week.
So with your older outboards you probably had a 6 gallon portable gas tank. And with the Mercruiser you probably have a permanent tank. And bilge blower. When fueling everyone off the boat and turn off the bilge blower. When done fueling then turn on the bilge blower for 5 min. Then start,

I also suggest a floating handheld VHF radio even if you have a fixed mount VHF radio.

Mercruiser Alpha One have been in production for (guess) 35 years. They are a great outdrive. Obviously the newer outdrives with duo props are better as is having the raw water pump run off the engine rather than the outdrive.

I could buy an entire aftermarket Alpha One outdrive for less than the cost of one gearset for my VP outdrive.

Mercruiser Alpha One have been in production for (guess) 35 years. They are a great outdrive. Obviously the newer outdrives with duo props are better as is having the raw water pump run off the engine rather than the outdrive.

I could buy an entire aftermarket Alpha One outdrive for less than the cost of one gearset for my VP outdrive.
I dont know if the duo props are better. I am a fan of the Alpha One, been boating for decades, never had one fail, shift clunk and all, they were awesome and trouble free. I serviced all my Merc outdrives, pulled them every year, greased the splines, simple and maybe a bit "crude" but are work horses. (im typing this for a reason)

Fast forward to the year 2018. Kids grown just the wife and I now, have other toys like the Road King, Purchased a new to us 2008 Chaparral 180SSI to use on the lake. Easy to take care of, perfect boat to take out a few hours on the weekend. The boat was in like new condition, get this, had 65 hours on it.
It has a Volvo SX-A outdrive, First year I was in awe. whisper quiet shifting, NO clunk, engine mounted raw water pick up, wow, how cool.
Runs like a champ ... and then, one year later .... we started to get a delay when shifting into forward, not every time but when it did, slowly but surely it would go into gear. End of the summer of 2020 it was getting worse, IN 2021 it would no longer go into gear, always reverse but not forward. Cone clutch was shot at 100 hours, I read on some forums of this issue back in, ready? Model year 2008 which is the year this updated SX-A outdrive came out. At 100 hours, some units developed this issue.

Anyway, first time in my life, which is decades and decades, in boats from 17 feet to 27 foot Sea Rays I always had Merc outdrives never had an issue and the first time in my life have a Volvo outdrive being worked on at an enormous cost. Hopefully this will be the only issue, we should have the boat back in about 7 business days more. We gave the go ahead to order a new OEM factory SX-A upper gearcase. Costing us almost $5000. If there are no more issues with it, we are ok because the boat is still in showroom condition, engine doesnt use oil and doesnt even have a rusted bolt on it.
...and that "on engine" sea water pump ... well I decided to have it replaced and it isnt cheap, new housing and all.

It will al be worth it, IF this is the end of unpleasant surprises.
... oh and by the way ... no one in this area wants to work on these outdrives, even though its current ... limited experience and why I had to get a new upper gearcase from a volvo authorized dealer. Another thing, first question you are asked at most places is how old is the boat, over 10 years they will not work on.

I believe the duo prop from both Mercruiser and VP are better performing and the stern of the boat does not walk sideways when in Reverse.

But at significantly higher cost in outdrive and propellers.

But basically everything but an Alpha One is expensive these days.

When you ordered an upper gear case what kind of warranty did it come with. The gear circulates between the upper and lower gearcases so if there was anything like metal particles in the lower gear case they will circulate and potentially cause damage in the new upper gear case.

Hopefully you were able to get some decent money from the old upper gear case as trade or selling.

There are a few shops whose only business is rebuilding outdrives. They would buy old gear cases I assume. My outrive is in Michigan at such a company being rebuilt.

I believe the duo prop from both Mercruiser and VP are better performing and the stern of the boat does not walk sideways when in Reverse.

But at significantly higher cost in outdrive and propellers.

But basically everything but an Alpha One is expensive these days.

When you ordered an upper gear case what kind of warranty did it come with. The gear circulates between the upper and lower gearcases so if there was anything like metal particles in the lower gear case they will circulate and potentially cause damage in the new upper gear case.

Hopefully you were able to get some decent money from the old upper gear case as trade or selling.

There are a few shops whose only business is rebuilding outdrives. They would buy old gear cases I assume. My outrive is in Michigan at such a company being rebuilt.
Yes, no question about it. Duo props rule when it comes to handling at a significantly higher cost and more complex.
Not really needed in a properly powered boat of lets say under 25 feet. The larger the boat the more benefit for sure. I like simplicity and why I like the Alpha One for the smaller boats.

Im not concerned about metal circulating nor am I the warranty but its one year. It was just the clutch that was bad but no one wants to work on them here so replacing the unit.
I know about the Michigan rebuilder also a reputable one in Florida, my wife and I decided to go new upper because the drive only has 100 hours on it and we know the cause of issues with this drive, early production models of the SX-A was the cone clutch. Because of this, we felt better knowing it was done right from the factory since we know the whole unit didnt not need to be replaced.

The cone clutch so critical I didnt want to take a chance on properly done re-built since I did not have to with so low hours.
More or less we had to spend the same about of money anyway, rather keep the 100 hour lower and install a factory OEM new upper. Should be good for life now, we will see.

the Mercruiser units are very good, and reliable, your probably running a bravo outdrive matched to the 5.0 ?

Just FYI the Bravo One series is Intended for single, twin, and triple applications for boats that go over 100 mph, gas engines up to 600hp and diesel engines up to 370hp. I've also seen them on large houseboats where big engines are used and need better steering response & heavy duty components.

Just FYI the Bravo One series is Intended for single, twin, and triple applications for boats that go over 100 mph, gas engines up to 600hp and diesel engines up to 370hp. I've also seen them on large houseboats where big engines are used and need better steering response & heavy duty components.
Well said and spot on.
Not sure about the 100 MPH statement but the Bravo was designed for heavy duty applications aka larger boats. The Alpha 1 was not really designed for big heavy boats, however it was being used at the time 3+ decades ago for those applications while the Bravo was still on paper.

To Merc's (and many others) surprise the Alpha 1 drive turned out to be much more reliable and dependable then Merc ever imagined on larger more heavy boats while the Bravo was still being designed and tested. Its a solid workhorse.

I cant say if the Bravo and Volvo Penta's lived up to the same reputation as the Alpha Drives, better said exceeded the reliability. Yes, made more more heavy duty applications, and of course the benefits of 2 props but also more complicated.
I miss that "cluck" of the Alpha now that I just had to replace the upper gear case of my whisper quiet low hour Volvo SX-A drive installed on a very low demanding runabout *LOL*

Back