2001 Jetta 2.SLOW Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired a 2001 Jetta with the naturally aspirated 2.0L engine. VW recommends a 502.00 oil which I believe is insane considering its relative state of tune.

115 HP out of a 2.0L with a timing BELT

I've seen online that many people just run whatever 15w40 is on sale with good results.

Here is how the car will be used.

Start car in morning and immediately back out of garage.
Drive to end of my street and get on the 75-80 mph interstate with an evil uphill on-ramp.
Drive 37 miles at the said speed and get off the interstate.
About 12 hours later, pull out of work, immediately get on interstate with an equally evil ramp and return home in same fashion.

I guess the point I'm getting to is that my house and work site are now right off the interstates and I have no time to warm up prior to getting on the gas close to or at wide open throttle when I leave.

I'm looking at GC and M1 0w40 right now, but neither can be bought in giant jugs at Chinamart for a reasonable price.

Rotella T 5w-40 - $19 for a 1gal jug. That's what I'm running in my g/f's '01 Jetta right now. Planning to do 10k OCI - will do a UOA when I get there just in case.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What area of the country? I would not roar onto the highway in the winter in my area with a 15W-40 in the c.c.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Unless the garage is heated or you have a block heater or oil pan heater.
shocked2.gif

I live in the southeast FYI.

I know these things are notorious for oil consumption. Anyone have any input or feedback? My mechanics in my shop look at this thing like it was made on Mars.

Originally Posted By: SnakeOil
I live in the southeast FYI.

I know these things are notorious for oil consumption. Anyone have any input or feedback? My mechanics in my shop look at this thing like it was made on Mars.

Sorry "USA" didn't tell me that...
grin2.gif
Then that oil would be fine to start/go, but I would take it a bit easy while it is warming up to prevent excess engine wear.

Good engine BTW!
thumbsup2.gif

Many examples of the 2.Slo had the oil control rings installed upside-down. Just use the thinnest oil you can, w/o consumption.

I'd start with GTX 10w-30. Dino Dino Dino, all the way. Clear the PVC and see how much you burn. If you burn oil, go up to a 10w-40. Don't worry about being cold on that on-ramp, just do what you have to do. If you don't have consumption, try a Hi-Miles 5w-30. I define consumption as >2q in 3000 miles. Also try some 2-cycle oil in the gas 500:1 and maybe a piston soak, but the spark plug holes are tough on that engine.

My Mom's 2.0 Passat is 13 years old and uses no oil at all. All city driving, I'm actually considering 5w-20...not kidding.

It's insane that VWoA is specing a 502 oil for that car. Just stick with any good dino 10-30 or 10-40. Don't waste your money.

Any SM conventional SM/GF-4 oil (which are Group II based) will run 5-6k miles in that motor easy. Those 2.0 SOHC VW engines with a belt-drive camshaft are easy on oil. The factory VW oil spec's are synthetic (502.00 …etc) for longer 10k miles oil changes. You can run the current dino's at shorter intervals and get the same performance as synthetics these days.

I would typically run a 5W-30 or 10W-30, but as AJ alluded to, some of those motors have been known to drink 30 weight oils at a good pace. You would have to check the oil level regularly to see if it consumes 30 weight oils. If so, you could step up to a 10W-40 or 15W-40 HDEO to reduce consumption.

Many of the current auto's (and engines) on the market can go 7-8k miles and barely use 1/4 or 1/2 liter. So some people get into the habit of not checking the oil very often. Can't do that with these engines unless you know you are getting low consumption.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
It's insane that VWoA is specing a 502 oil for that car.

Not really, considering that they want you to change it every 10k miles.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just run some 10K+ intervals on SM rated Rotella Syn or M1HM. I'm doing about 1,000 miles a week right now and she does about 3/4 of a quart in that period of time.

Not having to change the oil every month and a half would be plenty of reason for me to go synthetic.

Originally Posted By: SnakeOil
I'm doing about 1,000 miles a week right now and she does about 3/4 of a quart in that period of time.

So, in 10k miles you'll be adding 7.5 qts of fresh oil? Maybe your oil changes are unnecessary...
LOL.gif

Unfortunately, that is what it is currently swilling. Rotella 15w40 HDEO to be exact. One of the bulk oils in my shop. I have no idea if it is SL or SM. It's about a year old at this point. We don't change oil on many Diesel trucks in this economy. We used to do 1 barrel of HDEO every 2 weeks.

I just don't think you are going to improve on 15w-40 as far as consumption goes. Try a HM 10w-40, but that's about the only other choice. I dunno what your climate is like.

fwiw, I get very low consumption in my nephew's Volvo on GTX 10w-30 and that engine drinks other oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back