2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Clean Up Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Got 276k on mine. Love it. Could get the older stuff, but it rides nowhere near as smooth as my WJ does, and it can still eat up anything I have run into.

Wow, what year is yours and what oil did you run to get it there?

2000. Mine must be one of the "good" motors. I've fed it so many different "oils of convenience" that I don't even remember. I think it doesn't care. I still don't get a lot of blowby coming out of the oil cap, and a compression is great.

RT6, MS5K, RT5, PYB, Delo, etc.

Thanks to the VR1 sale, it's going to soak it's crank in VR1 10W-30 for a looooooooooooong time.

This is one of my vehicles I'm playing the Death Game with. I kinda want it to die so I can pull it apart and swap a 4BT, G56, and AAM 1-ton axles into it. Started waiting in 2014. Hasn't caved yet.

Should also mention that it has an LF9028 dual flow filter hanging off the side of the block. Same filter I use on my diesel Rams.

Also, it's pooched two transmissions in it's life.

Round and round she goes......

Ok so yes, late '99 -'01 had the bad cylinder heads known to crack. Grab a flashlight and look down the oil fill hole. You will want to see 'TUPY' stamped on the head. It's between cylinder 3&4. If it doesn't have the TUPY stamped head STEER CLEAR.

WJs are known to have rust issues on the rocker panels and wheel wells.

The 42re is a weak transmission.

The electrical fan motor and resistor are also a weak point.

I use M1 HM 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40, M1 HM has thicker HTHS which I think these 4.0s like more but purely anecdotal.

Please visit the WJ subforum at JeepForum. They have a whole Buyers Guide threads and stickies. www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310

A very useful site also is wjjeeps.com

I friggin' love my WJ and it was reliably my only vehicle of transport through highschool and all of college. Really great in the snow.

Best thing about the WJ 4.0 is that IT IS SLOOOOOW. It should deter the racing itch
smile.gif

PM me if you have any other questions

Also if it has Selec-Trac 4wd:
4-Full Time can be used on dry pavement, the front driveshaft isn't locked to the same speed as the rear driveshaft. Any hint of bad weather, put it in 4FT and forget about it. Really useful!

Make sure you check the 4 wheel drive works!

Last edited:
I have a nice 02WJ laredo with the 4.7 and selectrac, runs nice, looks nice and very dependable. tons of these still on the road 15 yrs since they stopped making them.

Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
Ok so yes, late '99 -'01 had the bad cylinder heads known to crack. Grab a flashlight and look down the oil fill hole. You will want to see 'TUPY' stamped on the head. It's between cylinder 3&4. If it doesn't have the TUPY stamped head STEER CLEAR.

WJs are known to have rust issues on the rocker panels and wheel wells.

The 42re is a weak transmission.

The electrical fan motor and resistor are also a weak point.

I use M1 HM 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40, M1 HM has thicker HTHS which I think these 4.0s like more but purely anecdotal.

Please visit the WJ subforum at JeepForum. They have a whole Buyers Guide threads and stickies. www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310

A very useful site also is wjjeeps.com

I friggin' love my WJ and it was reliably my only vehicle of transport through highschool and all of college. Really great in the snow.

Best thing about the WJ 4.0 is that IT IS SLOOOOOW. It should deter the racing itch
smile.gif

PM me if you have any other questions

Also if it has Selec-Trac 4wd:
4-Full Time can be used on dry pavement, the front driveshaft isn't locked to the same speed as the rear driveshaft. Any hint of bad weather, put it in 4FT and forget about it. Really useful!

Make sure you check the 4 wheel drive works!

Thanks! Is the TUPY easy to see or do you have to look pretty hard in there to find it?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
l

Thanks! Is the TUPY easy to see or do you have to look pretty hard in there to find it?

Not hard. The oil fill hole isn't that big so there's not much area to look.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
l

Not hard. The oil fill hole isn't that big so there's not much area to look.

Thanks!

Update...Since the 2001 is two hours away, I asked more questions over the phone from the owner's niece. It has sat in the barn for a year, being started occasionally. Her aunt has terminal cancer, so she can't drive anymore, and that is why she is selling. She is going to try and take a look for me under the oil cap to see if the stamp is there, or not. She said the engine runs great with no unusual ticking or noises and that oil changes were faithfully completed. She said she did not know if the transmission fluid had ever been changed. Her aunt is the 2nd owner and bought it at 115k miles. She did not change the fluid, so it is unknown if any drive train fluid has ever been changed. She did say that it was in excellent shape when they bought it and still runs and drives well, as it should. She said the brakes are strong and the paint looks good. The plastic cladding, however, is rough. It has fading and she things a product was tried on it that left a rough texture on it. (I really don't care about the cladding.) She said she sees no drips where it parks, which is good!

If it doesn't have the stamp, I'll likely cancel the visit. I found another today that is interesting. It is a 2004 with a V8 and only has 103k on it. No rust, no dents, no scratches, new paint, no tears, holes or stains in the interior, and all switches and features work as they should. I'm going to look at it this evening. It is also said to be the 2nd owner. This one would get a little beyond the boy's budget, but if no work needs to be done, it will be worth the reach.

Another is 20 minutes from my work. It is an 04, I6, 170k miles and the body and interior, while kind of dirty/dusty, looks pretty good. It is said to have no rust but does have a few dents and dings, which I expect anyway on a vehicle that old. The paint appears to be in pretty good shape, too.

So for now, I've got three at which I'm taking a close look. If any of you are in or near Indiana and know of a potential good one for a good price, shoot me a PM.

Thanks JeepWJ19 for the resources! I've been pouring over them non stop since last night! Lol! The more I read, though, the more I like the boy's choice for a vehicle. These WJ's are pretty neat!

I'd avoid the 4.7. Prone to dropping a valve seat, timing chain issues, and if it has the hydraulic cooling fan it's not so easy to find replacement parts for that system anymore.

First thing you're going to want to do to any WJ is ditch the upper control arm bushings (at the axle) for some stronger aftermarket replacements. I run Johnny Joints here because almost everything that is an actual bushing falls apart in no time. People have bought the Mopar set and had them fail in days.

This is the single best thing you can do to prevent Death Wobble. Single biggest cause of it.

I'd avoid the 4.7. Prone to dropping a valve seat, timing chain issues, and if it has the hydraulic cooling fan it's not so easy to find replacement parts for that system anymore.

First thing you're going to want to do to any WJ is ditch the upper control arm bushings (at the axle) for some stronger aftermarket replacements. I run Johnny Joints here because almost everything that is an actual bushing falls apart in no time. People have bought the Mopar set and had them fail in days.

This is the single best thing you can do to prevent Death Wobble. Single biggest cause of it.

Well, I thought that, too, but looking at the WJ forums, it seems that if the 4.7 has been well and properly maintained, it can go the distance. As someone else earlier said, there are many of them on the road well past 200k. I see lots of them. With only 103k, if it mechanically checks out, it may be as much worth the risk as a 4.0 with potential for cylinder head issues. I'm still leaning toward the 4.0, but I simply can't pass up looking at a 4.7 H.O. with barely over 100k on a vehicle that has obviously had some TLC from the owner(s). For now, this is the only 4.7 we're looking at right now. All the rest are 4.0's.

I'll definitely look at making that swap with the bushings. On my JK, I've upgraded ball joints, etc, with better aftermarket parts, like you recommended. That has made my JK actually feel more solid and stable than it did when new.

Well, the 2001 doesn't have the strengthened head, so I am passing on it. I found an 03 with 140k on it that looked pretty good today at a dealership. The body was excellent as was the interior. They want way too much for it, at 4900, but told me there was lots of room to come down on that. He'd have to get it to $3,000. I'm doubtful he'll go there.

Tonight I found a 2004 Limited, 4.0, 132k miles, very nice looking, with a great looking black leather interior with all options. They want 3900 for it so they aren't too far off of what my son can pay. If it checks out and they'd take 3250, we'd drive it home. I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.

Looks like it might have Quadradrive. I'm pretty curious about that awd system. If not, then it is Quadratrack II. My personal preference would be Selectrac, but I'd be fine with any of the three. Seller says it drives perfectly. We shall see!

Last edited:
Yeah, good call dodging that thing.

The QD is a very advanced 4WD system. Not my cup of gear oil, but it is very capable. More so than SelecTrac in certain situations.

Yeah, good call dodging that thing.

The QD is a very advanced 4WD system. Not my cup of gear oil, but it is very capable. More so than SelecTrac in certain situations.

Yes, it really looks like it was something special. I think electronics have mostly equaled it nowadays, but it is an impressive system for its day. Upon closer look, I believe it is ratrac II and not Quadradrive. Oh well, there is an advantage in being slightly simpler.

I really do appreciate the knowledge and experience that is so generously shared on this board. It is a tremendous resource!

I have an 04 Limited with Quadradrive and the 4.7l V8. It's a great combo. With a good set of AT tires this thing is a tank in the snow.
Having said that there's a lot of maintenance with these. Check the front door jambs specifically in the rubber boot and look for any broken wires as it's very common to break a power or ground and all sorts of weird things happen with the locks, lights etc. I've repaired the wires in three of my doors.
If it does have Quadradrive you'll have the NV247 transfer case which is pretty good. Also both limited slip axles. The NV247 takes a Mopar specific fluid so make sure you use that.
You may get some groaning on dry roads when making tight turns. If you do, change front and rear diffs with a good fluid and the limited slip additive and that usually takes care of it.
The taillight housings almost all go bad at some point. I ended up with aftermarket housings now

Also, the 545RFE trans that comes behind the V8 is much stronger than the 42RE in the I6

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Aero540T
I have an 04 Limited with Quadradrive and the 4.7l V8. It's a great combo. With a good set of AT tires this thing is a tank in the snow.
Having said that there's a lot of maintenance with these. Check the front door jambs specifically in the rubber boot and look for any broken wires as it's very common to break a power or ground and all sorts of weird things happen with the locks, lights etc. I've repaired the wires in three of my doors.
If it does have Quadradrive you'll have the NV247 transfer case which is pretty good. Also both limited slip axles. The NV247 takes a Mopar specific fluid so make sure you use that.
You may get some groaning on dry roads when making tight turns. If you do, change front and rear diffs with a good fluid and the limited slip additive and that usually takes care of it.
The taillight housings almost all go bad at some point. I ended up with aftermarket housings now

Also, the 545RFE trans that comes behind the V8 is much stronger than the 42RE in the I6

Yeppers, what this person says.

The QD setup will be all your son needs. It's a great system. The progressive couplers can go bad but it's not in any way a glaring weak point.

The only time you don't want QD is when youre putting a lift kit and bigger tires. The QD does not really like any tire above a 32" tire. But even fitting a 32" tire requires roughly a 3" lift. Just food for thought if your son ever gets the lift kit itch. But that is entirely a different discussion.

The QD, in general purposes (every day driving) is actually better than Selec-Trac.

Ok, well we went and looked at one tonight and we're buying it. The description was off a little, but that's because the lady selling it just doesn't know much about what she has. For example, she thought it was a V6. I told her the window sticker she posted, which was hard to read, showed a "V8 Discount". I popped the hood and....It's a V8! Not sure if it is the HO version, though.

If you are bored, read my rambling assessment below. I'll have more specific questions later, but we're not going to have to do much to this thing. It appears to have been very well maintained.

Here is a pic:

[Linked Image]

The story gets really interesting and good. Here it is, along with the vital info:

It sounds cliche, but it was driven by a little old lady, who is now 79 years old. Her husband bought it new for her in 2004 with his Chrysler employee discount. She has to use a walker and just can't climb in and out of it easily, so that's why she's selling. She spoke the whole time as if she really loved this car, and you could tell she's having a hard time letting it go. Her husband retired from Chrysler and spent his career in the Indianapolis foundary. He was on the line where his own engine block was made! He knew all the proper maintenance and fluids this Jeep required, and he did everything by the book! It only has 103k miles, so it averaged just over 7k per year. It sounds like it was driven mostly locally, but with some highway trips. She said they drove it to Wisconsin a few times. He appears to have run whatever brand name bulk conventional 5w30 or 10w30 the dealer or garage was using. I'll know for sure tomorrow, but it looked like PYB 5w30 is in there right now and has just a few hundred miles on it. I'll have to look at the sticker more closely to be sure, when we pick it up. It looks like he changed it every 3 to 6k miles, which is consistent with the owner's manual.

Interior is cloth and in PERFECT condition with not even a stain or slight discoloration. The wheel, controls, dash, and everything, except the floor mats, look new. The floor mats are worn, but aren't horrible. They look like the OEM floor mats. Anyway, it is remarkably new looking. Tires are great. They are Goodyears and look like a street biased SUV tire. They don't look very old and the rims look pretty decent with lots of marks from wheel weights, which tells me he was on it with balancing and probably rotation, too. The engine looked good with some typical oil crud around the fill hole and spilled over the years on the valve cover. The other side was clean, so I didn't detect a valve cover gasket leak, just the minor spillage. It had a brand new alternator and serpentine belt. All the hoses looked and felt good. He didn't say much about that kind of maintenance other than saying he had his mechanic take care of all that kind of stuff when needed. I'm not sure if it ever got new spark plugs. The battery was very clean, so I suspect it isn't very old. It fired the car right up. Ambient temp was 20 degrees and the engine was cold to the touch, so he didn't appear to warm it up or start it before we came over.

I test drove it and everything felt perfect. It started like it would if new. The engine was smooth, and strong and had no ticks or unusual noises. The transmission felt good with nice, smooth shifting. It has Quadratrac II and it was quiet and smooth and didn't feel any different than if it was 2wd. The heat was strong, too and guages seemed to be where they are supposed to be. The ride was smooth and I heard a little jiggle in the suspension occasionally when hitting bumps, but otherwise it felt solid. The shocks felt like they were still pretty good. I think they were original. The alignment was perfect, again showing that he cared about that kind of maintenance. The steering wheel was perfectly straight and it tracked beautifully. I drove it at highway speeds, as well, and it felt perfect. I did not try the low range. I was so excited about the condition and performance of everything that I forgot to do that. I doubt it has any problem. In fact, I doubt it has ever been put in low range.

Finally, the paint was perfect, and it should be, because it is new and the Jeep spent its time at home garaged. There was no UV damage to headlights or taillights. They looked as good as new. The Jeep was originally white, according to the window sticker. Whoever painted it did a very high quality job because the door jams and everything were gray and I saw no white, even under the hood. I was pretty shocked at that. I'm guessing it was painted because either she didn't like white or there was some issue with the original paint. Sun damage wouldn't have been it, though, because nothing else, dash, lights, cloth, trim, or anything, looked like it had any sun fading or issues.

I'll know more and will probably have some questions after we've spent some quality time with it. I'm planning on very soon changing the transmission fluid and filter, the transfer case fluid, differential fluid, and will probably put new spark plugs in it unless he tells me he's done that already. I'm betting the air filter is pretty new, but we'll check it. Other than that, I don't think my son will have to put much money in it.

The price was $4500, which I think is a good deal on such a low mileage WJ in such good condition and so well maintained.

I sure appreciate the help here. You guys helped me dodge a potential money pit, which led me to stumble upon this jewel. Thank you!!!

That looks absolutely clean! Great find.

JMO, those running boards have to go though, LOL.

My WJ is on its last legs unfortunately. The salt has hit this thing so hard my WJ failed inspection because the rockers were completely rusted and the support to the rockers in the rear that attach to the frame are rusted.

I'm having my autobody guy weld some plates and clean it up to pass inspection. He said it would get me about another 3-5 years. I'm so sad by it, but my WJ has been nickel and diming me these past two years.

But if it makes you feel any better, my 4.0 has had a nasty cold start tick since 90k miles. It's now at 155k miles.
smile.gif

That looks absolutely clean! Great find.

JMO, those running boards have to go though, LOL.

My WJ is on its last legs unfortunately. The salt has hit this thing so hard my WJ failed inspection because the rockers were completely rusted and the support to the rockers in the rear that attach to the frame are rusted.

I'm having my autobody guy weld some plates and clean it up to pass inspection. He said it would get me about another 3-5 years. I'm so sad by it, but my WJ has been nickel and diming me these past two years.

But if it makes you feel any better, my 4.0 has had a nasty cold start tick since 90k miles. It's now at 155k miles.
smile.gif

Lol, yeah, that was the first thing my son said he was going to do. The guy said he had to put those on there for his wife to continue to be able to drive it. He said they've only been on there a year or so. I'll find a pic of what my boy wants this thing to ultimately resemble. He's got the right idea!

I've heard of lots of the 4.0's having the tick, but that most of them just soldier right on. How does yours run?

One thing we're going to do with this thing is to head the rust off. We'll hit any rust spots this spring with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I've had GREAT luck with that on my JK. We'll then give it a liberal treatment of Fluid Film every September or October. That stuff is pretty amazing. I shot a couple cans of it into and onto the frame of my new JL and will be using it on the JK in the future, too. My JK frame, though, looks like new. Only the gas tank skid plate has had a struggle with the rust, but it isn't terrible.

Here is about what he wants it to look like. He wants a 2" lift, appropriate sized KO2 or Duratrac tires, and an overlanding basket on top. I asked him what he'd put up there, hoping he'd say a full size spare for off roading, but he said he didn't know, but just liked the look. Lol!

His budget for the Old Man Emu ($1000) lift just got blown out by the price of the rig, so he'll have to pay it off first. He'll do it, though, eventually. The good news is that he really needs to do nothing to it right now other than the few maintenance items I mentioned. He's also got sales tax and license/regristration fees to think about, too, which will total around 400 bucks. Part of the learning experience of car ownership! When I told him that, he said, "Whhhaaaatttt????" Lol!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back