2001 Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about test driving one. I know what to look for in general when buying used cars. I don't have any experience with this vehicle though. What should I look for in Jeep Cherokee, what are the unusual trouble spots for this one? Second, are these easy to work on, oil filter and plug accesible, spark plugs, does it have a timing chain and not belt, etc...

I'm tired of the hassle of working on front wheel drive vehicles that have struts. Hoping to find something that is more pleasent to do maintenance to. Seeing, that I don't have a shop or a professional car hoist.

I had a '99 Cherokee for nine years, it was a great little vehicle for me. Basic maintenance couldn't be more simple, everything is very easy to reach. They are fairly durable too, though you may want to do research on a certain head casting that has a tendency to crack on '00-'01 4.0's. The engines use a timing chain I probably wouldn't worry about for the life of the engine. Crank position sensors and fuel pumps I would consider as routine maintenance at 120-150k. It will likely have a few squeaks or rattles but thats all part of the Jeep experience. Transmissions and axles are quite reliable if you are keeping it close to stock (i.e. no 36" super swampers & 6" lifts), though you may have to replace the occasional front wheel bearing at 100k+. Brakes are adequate with stock-ish tires, if you'll be towing with it make sure the trailer has brakes. The rear springs can get saggy if you tow with it but they can be replaced easily and cheaply enough. Only major trouble with my '99 was the A/C went out, don't know what the problem was as I traded it for a truck at that time. Good luck.

I got a 99 from my work that was a former fleet vehicle, driven by aggressive idiots. It held up at 160k.
thumbsup2.gif

The AC in it was the coldest of any vehicle I've seen; impressive with a large cabin and untinted windows.

My radiator had gone out and the murky rusty soup called coolant would make me recommend frequent flushes.

I read that the Jeep Cherokee of all years was one of the most sacrificed make and model under Cash for Clunkers.

Jeeps do tend to make for some nasty coolant if it's not changed often. XJs (84-01 Jeep Cherokee) tend to get saggy rear springs from either towing or people leaving heavy stuff in the back. Nate has it pretty well covered. They're solid vehicles, easy enough to work on, and if maintained, will last forever. I've heard of a few 4.0 XJs out there with over 300k on the original engine and tranny.

they get quirky but in a lovingly way. prior maintenance is key, though that 4.0 will put up with A LOT of abuse and keep running. Those axles are well-suited for the chero but not as much for the grand chero. you ARE talking about the regular cherokee, right? The grands were known for a few nuisance problems, mostly hvac or electronic gremlins.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I read that the Jeep Cherokee of all years was one of the most sacrificed make and model under Cash for Clunkers.

That is a shame, they are solid solid vehicles, especially from Mother Mopar.

It may have been in the top 10. I thought I had read that the F150 and Ford Explorer were #1 and #2. That would make sense if you look at how many of those things were made.

Yes I am talking about the square looking Cherokee. I like the look, and it should suit my purposes.

You should never run out of parts. It shares the front end with the Wrangler for more years than you can imagine. Brakes, rotors ..etc...wheel to wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back