2001 Honda Prelude, Amsoil S2K 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car/conditions:
2001 Honda Prelude 5-speed, 2.2L VTEC engine, 3% fuel lean using air/fuel controller, paper air filter. 9,000KM interval, 49,000KM on engine, daily driven in winter in Toronto, cold starts, occasional 7,400RPM shifts, 2 x 30KM of highway driving every day, 40% city, 60% highway overall.

Oil:
Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30, 0.5L of Series 3000 5W-30 HDD (put in by mistake), Amsoil SDF-20 oil filter. No noticeable oil burning, the only oil added was the 0.5L of S3K 5W-30 HDD which I added by mistake when I checked my oil on an incline and I thought I burned 0.5L. I didn't have any 0W-30 left, so I topped off with my girlfriend's S3K 5W-30 HDD which she used in her Jetta TDI.

Analysis:

Wear
Copper 4
Iron 8
Chromium 1
Lead 1
Aluminum 5
Silicon 7
Tin 2

Additives
Molybdenum 0
Sodium 2
Magnesium 665
Zinc 1100
Potassium 4
Phosphorus 976
Calcium 2230

Physical Properties
Water negative
Fuel negative
Antifreeze negative
Soot/solids 0
Oxidation 164
Nitration 9.5
Sulfur 21
TBN 8
Vis@100*C (cSt) 11.7 30w SAE

Thanks to Terry Dyson for the analysis, he's an excellent guy to deal with.

What do you guys think?

Considering how very cold it was up here this winter, that report is incredible! Imagine how good the next one will be, if you change it out before the winter hits that is.

Very nice. Stayed in grade to. S2k and S3k are there flagship products.

Every time I see one of these Amsoil reports-I want to bo back to being a dealer again
smile.gif
. Very nice.

Jay, the oxidation is 164 or 82% and is elevated by the fact that the FTIR was calibrated for 0w-30 and this had some of the others esters in a HDD top up. The mix messed the FTIR results which we had to rerun 3 times.

Note nitration was < 5%, burning really cleanly.

Cleaning going on also to keep the solids undetectable.

To compare to a Blackstone insolubles reading we'd see a .3 or .2 % or less.

[ May 21, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Every time I see one of these Amsoil reports-I want to bo back to being a dealer again

I agree, the only problem Al is that they are rare, with any oil for that matter. If I saw more consistancy with S2k, I would have stuck with it.
smile.gif

The stock air filter is working well. What oil filter are you using? Any idea what the oxidation number means?

Ferrari,

Results look excellent ...you can probably extend to a 12,000 km change interval if you wish ....

The oxidation number is not believeable, given that the viscosity is essentially unchanged from the baseline value of 11.3 Cst.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back