2001 Honda Prelude $6000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at used cars, this one peaked my interest slightly. It's a 2001 Honda Prelude. The body and interior seem very nice, but it's been slights modified just by looking at the pictures, I can see an exhaust and cold air intake. Stuff like that makes me worry if the previous owner Street raced it. But it's a Honda right? The 2.2L vtech engine should be good for 300k right?

Thoughts?

http://www.luxuryimportsky.com/2001_Honda_Prelude_Florence_KY_241608487.veh

B30D9041-EEE2-4942-9BBB-DD4DEC78988E_1.jpg
B30D9041-EEE2-4942-9BBB-DD4DEC78988E_17.jpg

That's a racer boy car. Avoid. Find one that's adult-owned, unmodified, and comes with some maintenance history.

[censored] Canon and a "COLD AIR, YO!". No, stay away. As Bandito stated, find a car owned by an adult.

I like Preludes and owned one for 7 years. The price isn't bad, but you don't know the history. If I were buying one, I'd be seeking one out that's as stock as it could be.

That being said, those engines are very durable and it only has 140k on it. The car doesn't look that bad in the pics.

Maybe go drive it and then maybe you'll get a better feel of what's going on...if anything.

Pretty mild mods, would not scare me away. You may be able to use it to work the price down if the car checks out ok otherwise.

Neither of those mods do that much but the old owner may have driven it like it was a racecar. Check the fluids carefully and inspect it closely. Personally I would probably look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That's a racer boy car. Avoid. Find one that's adult-owned, unmodified, and comes with some maintenance history.

Agreed.

Plus, that B&M shifter knob looks ridiculous.
smile.gif

Honestly...that wouldn't worry me. My only concern would be front end problems and possibly the clutch. (If it has a full exhaust and not just a tip, I would say that's GOOD.)

Those Autozone mods would make me offer the seller $500 for that car. Anytime ANYTHING is manipulated non-oem it makes a vehicle worthless imo,but I'm a purist. Run away from that car and don't look back.

I'm sorry but the stereotype is long lived, its really the racism of the car world when people call "rice". You should not be afraid of what looks to be a properly modified Prelude, that intake alone is over 250 dollars when an ebay piece has the same "specs" but someone has spent the time and money to do it right anyway. The exhaust looks to be an HKS exhaust (from what I can see of the tip length and silencer can lip) which would also be an expensive excellent sounding exhaust. Whats the point of avoiding an enthusiast owned properly modified car, isn't that what most drivers would consider themselves/their cars after a bit of time?

The H22a is not the most reliable or fuel efficient engine of the Honda line up, I suggest you do some research on chassis specific sites to get better information to base your judgement on. On a side note the white is a very cool color and uncommon to see from my time in the Honda community.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
I'm sorry but the stereotype is long lived, its really the racism of the car world when people call "rice". You should not be afraid of what looks to be a properly modified Prelude, that intake alone is over 250 dollars when an ebay piece has the same "specs" but someone has spent the time and money to do it right anyway. The exhaust looks to be an HKS exhaust (from what I can see of the tip length and silencer can lip) which would also be an expensive excellent sounding exhaust. Whats the point of avoiding an enthusiast owned properly modified car, isn't that what most drivers would consider themselves/their cars after a bit of time?

The H22a is not the most reliable or fuel efficient engine of the Honda line up, I suggest you do some research on chassis specific sites to get better information to base your judgement on. On a side note the white is a very cool color and uncommon to see from my time in the Honda community.

I agree with the above. Check the car over well. I'm familiar with that particular dealer as im in Florence often. They usually only carry decent cars. Sure it would be nice if it was stock, but just because someone put and intake and exhaust on the car does not mean it has been beat on. The white is a rare color for that car.

I have a cousin with a bone stock Mustang GT that he beats the living [censored] out of, never checks the oil or maintains it. It looks immaculate and has beautiful wheels. Meanwhile another friend of mine has a GT as well. His has and intake, Headers, X-pipe, Exhaust, etc. But he babies the car. never dumps the clutch, redlines it, races it, etc. He Keeps the oil changed with synthetic, changes the Diff fluid annually as well as the transmission fluid and just maintains the car well.

I would buy my friends car all day over my cousins car even though by appearance my cousins car looks like the cruiser and my friends looks and sounds like a hot rod. Just because the Prelude has a few minor mods doesn't mean it is reamed out. I've replaced and exhaust with and aftermarket before because it was cheaper than a stock system. In the Cincy area rust can be a factor. The stock exhaust could have gotten a rust hole and someone decided to install a nice stainless system.

I would check the car over and make sure it is accident free, rust free, and make sure the driveline appears to be in good shape. If it all checks out offer them $5k cash and see what happens. Ask them if they will let you take the car for the weekend. Take it out of town and put some miles on it, so you can get an idea of how reliable it seems to be. JMHO.

You can't do much with the wild west of a used car. This one has some red flag indicators but who knows. Maybe the "mods" were to impress friends and a kid drove around relatively normally.

I always really liked these cars, my wife had a black one in similar generation and it was a hoot to drive with manual and had decent power for era. Stolen sadly.

its a 3-4 grand car at most. 6 grand is a nice buy here pay here price for the unwashed.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Carfax shows THREE accidents and Five owners. Ouch.

Did you run that yourself or did I miss that on the website? Either way I guess I'm avoiding it for that reason now.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
On the listing, click on the link.

Funny is missed that one. I've had issues in the past where I clicked on those show me the car fax link and it didn't show the full report.

Interestingly enough the vehicle&id seems to have been serviced regularly, even showing coolant and transmission service on record.

I think for a few thousands more you can buy a decent 2000-2003 S2000. S2000 is a much better car than Prelude, specially when you can enjoy top down cruising at 70-80 MPH, and it is a much better car for winding mountain roads.

I was under impression that S2K is *lot* more money than a similar Prelude. Also insurance etc would be in different category all together if this is being sourced for a young driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back