2001 Honda Civic worse car i ever bought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a 2005 Civic LX and its a decent car, just basic transportation.

If you want something better, buy a Benz or BMW and stop whining about a low cost econobox.

95% of Americans don't give a [censored] about their cars. The car will treat same way you treat it. Be respectful to the car and take care of it, and it will last and serve you just fine, regardless of the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK.
We've had three Civics, all sticks, five Accords, two sticks and three automatics, and a first gen Ody that was badged as an Isuzu Oasis.
All were solid machines with few problems over the years that we owned them.
Two of these cars were driven past 200K in our ownership before being sold on, one was sold on at 160K, two were totaled by a son at fairly high miles, one was scrapped at around 152K due to a failing automatic as well as other issues (it was only fifteen years old) and we have two on the road ATM.
Hondas have always been trouble free for us and we've always been happy with them.

Originally Posted By: Kira
To GMboy: Yeah, I understand the random luck of getting 2 good Saabs ESPECIALLY after GM began meddling with the company in 1999.

The 2002 Linear wagon was a former CPO car belonging to the wife of a local tradesman.
They lived in a mountainous region and the car had had 3 complete brake jobs by the time we got it.
The CPO period got all the kinks worked out by then...and they did all the dealership runs.
Only the littlest things failed during our ownership, t-stat, oil pressure sending unit and a water pump.

Finding a chili red 2005 Aero got us to sell it to our friends.
A 1991 9000S clearly saved the life of their elder son and they wanted the same steel wrapped around their baby.
That car came from Woodbridge, VA (I spoke to the owner). Lift gate struts, CKS (crankshaft positioning sensor-$18), a $20 hooter valve, the heater control valve against the firewall (no biggie), I had to lube (squirt silicone into) the hooter valve's vacuum actuation plunger. Really basic stuff.
The Bilstein H6 shocks/struts I installed were what attracted the buyer when we sold it. I HIGHLY recommend them.

I still have my Mom's 1999 9-5SE 4 door.

LOL, that sort of what was my point...GM ruined the brand.

IDK
Saabs had plenty of issues long before GM got into the act.
These were quirky cars, as interesting as they were.
Who else remembers when GM controlled Saab and had a piece of Subaru as well? The result was a WRX wagon badged as a Saab and these ended up as the cheapest WRX cars one could buy. There was also the Trailblazer badged as a Saab.
At least Ford mostly avoided this sort of thing with its high-zoot Euro acquisitions, all now long since sold on to Indian and Chinese conglomerates.
Shame that there will never be another Saab while there will be plenty of Chinese brand Volvos.
None of this has anything to do with the opening post but that's how we roll here, just like every other internet discussion board.

Well these is certainly the most Honda hate I've ever seen on BITOG.

I've never owned one, but I've certainly serviced them and managed loaner fleets containing them. The parts are reasonably priced, they aren't afraid to extend warranties on known issues, and they're very safe cars.
21.gif

maintain a Honda or Toyota and 95% go long, far and away better across their respective line than any other nameplate.

Toyota is the undisputed champ but you'll get today's technology tomorrow..fine if you were happy yesterday.

I'll chime in and say my experience with a 2004 Accord 5-manual has been the exact opposite of the OP-it is without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. It drives great after 13 years and almost 190k miles, but I will say brake wear and warping front rotors were a problem until I replaced the rotors with Centrics. I had previously been having issues with the Advance brand, Wearever?, the replacement of which was becoming a Spring ritual. Oil consumption at ~1qt/1000 miles was becoming a minor annyoance in recent years until I had the valve cover gasket replaced with an overdue valve adjustment, which I may not have needed but did anyway just as a preventive measure. Consumption has diminished to 1/2 qt per thousand miles. All other maintenance has been up to date, I've made sure of it over the years, pledging early on to take care of the car and not neglect its reasonable needs with the goal of seeing how far it would go. It has been fed a steady diet of top tier gas (Shell), mostly synthetic oil (Pennzoil), Oem coolant, and Oem power steering and manual transmission fluid. Recently there have been small bubbles of rust forming on the driver side wheel wells (oddly the pass side show zero signs of rust) that of course are dissapointing but have been and will be treated with POR. Overall I have been very happy with my Honda experience and am anxious to see how the new Accord is received since the global platform it will be based on has been lauded in both the new Civic and CRV.

I've actually come across more people saying they wish they kept their old Honda over buying a new one lately. Friend's mom traded her 2006 Civic with 200k for a new HR-V. The Civic only needed a few small things over the course of its life. The HR-V is only a few months old and has left her stranded twice due to some module failing.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I've actually come across more people saying they wish they kept their old Honda over buying a new one lately. Friend's mom traded her 2006 Civic with 200k for a new HR-V. The Civic only needed a few small things over the course of its life. The HR-V is only a few months old and has left her stranded twice due to some module failing.

This has been a perplexing issue with the H-RV. When I was working at the local Honda Dealership last year, we had two customers with brand new H-RVs complaining about this very issue. They left the car at our service department, we supplied them with a loaner, and then our service manager and sales manager used their H-RVs as their daily drivers trying to replicate the issue. Both cars had 250 miles put on them by our managers with no random shut-offs. Customers came back to pick up their cars (obviously irritated that we didn't experience the same issues) and one of them brought it back that day (now extremely upset) claiming it shut off again. Between the new Civic (electrical issues with their touch screen display), their issues with the 9 speed automatic transmission and H-RV issues, I'd recommend people stick to the 2.4L and V6 Accords, CR-Vs and Odysseys for at least for a little while if wanting a brand new Honda.

Edited to add CR-V. Those seemed to be pretty problem free.

Last edited:
I owned a 1996 Accord which was really no better than anything else I have owned since then except the 02 Jetta TDI I had for 89,000 miles. It was better than all my Turbo Dodges.

But the rest of my 3800/LSx cars have been just as good. The 07 Equinox was fine. The CTS 03 was good. The 98 Regal gave me some problems. Intake gasket and Radiator, but I picked that up used and the person who owned it did poor to no maintenance. Most everything else has required normal maintenance. The truck needed knock sensors and some of the exhaust manifold bolts broke off, but it tows most of it's life and that is a problem with any truck that tows.

I think you can have problems with anything. So many cars are pumped out so quickly you are bound to get some that are just not any good.
My Accord? There was nothing special about it.

High mileage is not exclusive to any one brand. I ran the 1998 Bonneville to 270,000. The 1991 S-10 to 280,000. Gave it to a Navy buddy who ran It to 400,000. Mostly gaskets and some suspension parts. A few Turbo Dodges over 200,000. My 1998 Z28 to 156,000 had to have 500 to 600 1/4 mile passes. Taking care of anything is key. I will say there are engineer blunders but if you keep up with stuff you should be good to go.

I've known people with Hondas and they all had good luck with them. I personally don't like them because I think the big 3 give you a better car for the money as well as cheaper parts. FWIW I steer away from imports anyways.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Between the new Civic (electrical issues with their touch screen display), their issues with the 9 speed automatic transmission and H-RV issues, I'd recommend people stick to the 2.4L and V6 Accords, CR-Vs and Odysseys for at least for a little while if wanting a brand new Honda.

Edited to add CR-V. Those seemed to be pretty problem free.

I think part of it is that Honda is now depending on outside suppliers(Continental, ZF, Delphi, Visteon, Valeo, Bosch, et al) instead of their in-house keiretsu members like Keihin and Nissin. Honda was known to be arrogant and proud of their own technology like their ABS system, transmissions and engine control systems - but it was when they were known to be rock solid reliable. The Japanese depended on their own supplier networks. Toyota has Denso, Aisin and Aisan. Nissan and Subaru depended heavily on Hitachi - even after the latter was owned by GM and now Toyota.

The US DOJ under Obama's watch did slap a fine and jail time on a few Japanese suppliers for price fixing. They were here to supply Toyota and Honda, but they got contracts from GM, Chrysler and Ford as well. I'm guessing this was why Honda and Toyota are using non-traditional suppliers for their US-made cars.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I think part of it is that Honda is now depending on outside suppliers(Continental, ZF, Delphi, Visteon, Valeo, Bosch, et al) instead of their in-house keiretsu members like Keihin and Nissin. Honda was known to be arrogant and proud of their own technology like their ABS system, transmissions and engine control systems - but it was when they were known to be rock solid reliable.

I'd argue they were never rock solid reliable. Plenty of stories of old CVCC engines with issue, tempermental carbs, poor brakes, even poor transmissions. Honda stuff was no better or worse than the competition. People just glossed over it because they were told it's better. If anything their owners were as arrogant as Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back