2001 Honda Civic worse car i ever bought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gmh101357
My friend is always praising them.....and to me Honda is a cuss word. Engine, Transmission both went out before 60k and took several years of lawsuits against American Honda to collect a fraction of what we should have got. For us Toyota has been almost perfect cars since I bought my first Truck in 79 to the 2015 Camry my wife has now. Buying a Civic over a Corolla was a costly mistake.
Anybody else had problems with Honda/Acura?

When did you buy this?

IF you bought it new, then why are you bringing it up 16 years later?

IF not, well, you bought a used car, and I would suggest that perhaps the previous owner had something to do with your experience.

Difficult to have any reaction to your point, without knowing the context from which it comes...

You can stick any auto make/model in place of "Honda", and there will be opinions on them both ways.
I know Honda, Ford, Toyota, Chevy, etc fanatics that will own nothing else.

I have owned 3 Honda's, 2 needed motors rebuilt at under 20,000 miles, but these were motorcycles, not cars. Never owned a Honda car.
Sister had a Civic (2002 is model?) with 150,000 miles, no major problems till the transmission went south, then she traded it in.

Heck, I have owned Toyota/Scion (1), VW (2), Dodge (4), Jeep (AMC) (1), Chevy (6), Olds (1), Mazda (1), Ford (1), Volvo (1), and Hyundai (3).
The only one I have ever had issues with was the '89 VW Cabriolet my wife got right after we were married. A/C issues, horrible rattles and handling, rough running engine, weird electrical gremlins. We got rid of it after just 2 years, even though she loved the looks of it. The '84 VW Rabbit I had was a tank.

Have only had one Honda in the family, '89 CRX that gave me very good service. I only replaced it because I moved to a part of the country where I needed more ground clearance (terrible rutted roads and snow) and desired AWD. My Toyota RAV4 generally did the job for me but needed a major repair to the AWD system, hard to compare to the simpler CRX that was just FWD.

There's a few Hondas in the extended and chosen family, and for the most part they've been good cars - I maintain a 1998 Accord EX-L V6, I told the owner to pay attention to the transmission. I do notice the newer models after the 1990s don't sound that great when they get old.

Honda does have problems with paint - it's even worse than the 1990s PPG/DuPont waterborne debacle with the Detroit 3. I've seeing mid-late 2000s cars with fading clearcoat. Honda does state PPG as a paint supplier - but I wonder if PPG is making Honda's paint based on their Japanese supplier's formula.

I have a 2001 with 315k miles on it.
crazy.gif

So the car was under warranty and the engine and transmission were replaced.

And you sued Honda?

I love my Accord. I bet I get over 400K miles out of it. Right now I'm at 130k, but the car was hardly driven the first 4.5 years I owned it. Now I'm putting 40k miles on it yearly taking my son all over the country BMX racing.

I guess time will tell. But I don't anticipate any problems.

I bought this Accord because it was the last year of production before the CVT....same as the CR-V my wife drives. Her doesn't have a CVT either. Yes, both on occasion make the cold start rattle from the VTC actuator, but besides that, we're really happy with our vehicles.

I'm hoping to buy a 2018 Accord with the turbo 2.0L and a 6 speed next year.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

This is all IMHO but the 01-05 Civic is the worst car Honda ever built. There is not a single part of that car that did not have major issues.

came here to say this - every time I hear someone I know that bought one , I cringe.

Gutless 1.7 and horrible body squeaks. No thank you .

Back in high school a friend of mine had a 2002 Civic. He beat the ever-loving heck out of it and he never had any problems with it. It was slow but reliable. It never struck me as a bad car that was built poorly.

All car makers have good and bad. That's it. I am no Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc fan, but I am intelligent enough to know that there is not one PERFECT automaker and they all build a mix of products good and bad.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Back in high school a friend of mine had a 2002 Civic. He beat the ever-loving heck out of it and he never had any problems with it. It was slow but reliable. It never struck me as a bad car that was built poorly.

Even in the first couple years of production, we had problems with:

-P/S pumps
-head gaskets
-front struts
-cracked exhaust manifolds
-alternators
-dead gauges
-seized shifter bushings
-third gear syncros
-water in the headlights
-noisy front exhaust pipes
-A/C compressor failures
-timing belt tensioners seized in the block

And on and on....

Originally Posted By: Kira
People praise Hondas like stoned, possessed consumers.

In 2005 the job of selling my friend's 1999 Accord V6 fell to me. The transmission clanked to a horrid death while on a test drive.
My friend said, "That's what my previous 2 Hondas did."

And she kept buying them????????? That's stoned, possessed, zombie level brand loyalty.

To be fair, you can find people who are blindly loyal to any brand.

I have a 97 civic that we are the original owner of. only uncommon repair for that car was an 02 sensor that went bad. It's still on its original muffler we only chabged the front cat.

I had a 94 accord that was reliable as well. I've read that the newer model years in the 2000's have more weaknesses, but as others have mentioned every manufacturer has duds.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I have a 97 civic that we are the original owner of. only uncommon repair for that car was an 02 sensor that went bad. It's still on its original muffler we only chabged the front cat.

I had a 94 accord that was reliable as well. I've read that the newer model years in the 2000's have more weaknesses, but as others have mentioned every manufacturer has duds.

I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer eons ago before more schooling and working up to becoming a UPS semi mechanic.
I think Honda offered a lifetime warranty on the exhaust for your model year for the original owner.

To GMboy: Yeah, I understand the random luck of getting 2 good Saabs ESPECIALLY after GM began meddling with the company in 1999.

The 2002 Linear wagon was a former CPO car belonging to the wife of a local tradesman.
They lived in a mountainous region and the car had had 3 complete brake jobs by the time we got it.
The CPO period got all the kinks worked out by then...and they did all the dealership runs.
Only the littlest things failed during our ownership, t-stat, oil pressure sending unit and a water pump.

Finding a chili red 2005 Aero got us to sell it to our friends.
A 1991 9000S clearly saved the life of their elder son and they wanted the same steel wrapped around their baby.
That car came from Woodbridge, VA (I spoke to the owner). Lift gate struts, CKS (crankshaft positioning sensor-$18), a $20 hooter valve, the heater control valve against the firewall (no biggie), I had to lube (squirt silicone into) the hooter valve's vacuum actuation plunger. Really basic stuff.
The Bilstein H6 shocks/struts I installed were what attracted the buyer when we sold it. I HIGHLY recommend them.

I still have my Mom's 1999 9-5SE 4 door.

Yes it was bought new in 01....what made me think of it was it took 15 years to get the last pathetic check from Honda for their pos cars....the lawyer told me Honda had outsourced parts to China and all were inferior. And I spent 8k to get 10k from Honda..... We were part of a larger class action suit also which we got about 400 bucks and that took 6 years.

Not that simple its a long story.....we wanted another car.If I had financed it....I would have turned it in but I paid cash for it. The dealer claimed we abused the car....but my wife had every oil change down at the dealer etc. In 01 My wife was 55 and I was 50 she never drove it over 70 mph im sure. The 1st trans went out at 45k the second one at 64k.....cv joints went out at 35k. !st engine at 58k second one at 75k. I gave the car to a local High School forshop class as a tax write off....and Bought a Toyota Highlander which now has 92k miles except for tires battery and major tune up at 60k its been as reliable as a hammer. Oh yeah the Civic's A.C. had problems from day one and took back to dealer several times....and still didn't work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back