2001 F150 Lariat 5.4L loosing oil with Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has had this truck since 15k of miles. The trunk ran on Mobil 1 5w30 since he got it. He did around 5-7k oil changes and filter. The truck started to use oil around 80k, and he switched to Amsoil around that time as well. (It was using Mobil 1 oil as well). He would hope Amsoil would help. The problem got worse. By 100k after two more oil changes, the problem did get worse. He didnt' ask me but I am not sure if it was safe or not. He put in Slick50 as a quart of replacement oil and it fixed his oil disappearing problem for the rest of that oil change. He did another oil change and it hasn't come back till now. It is using a quart again. So he put in Amsoil 1 quart and the next day his light came on again. He checked and it was a little low, so he put Slick50 half a quart is all he could put in right now and we will see what happens.

Anyways, long story short, is it safe to be mixing the slick50 with Amsoil 5w30?

The truck now has around 110k or so miles.

I forgot to mention the truck has no signs of oil being used anywhere. No leaks, no exhaust soot, nothing!

Please don't let him degrade such a good oil with slick 50. Friends don't let friends use slick 50.
pat2.gif

I agree 100%, DO NOT use Slick 50, especially in that quality oil. Now back to problem. It's either a stuck ring, or a bad seal, or the pcv system is messed up. The truck is sure not worn out. Tell him to find the problem and fix it. Don't use a chemical bandaid to try and fix it.

Your post is a little bias....reason why I am saying this is that you say it was losing oil with Mobil...then on to title it Amsoil. How about just saying the truck is consuming oil and you need some advice?

Try Amsoil 10-30 or 10-40 and as Johhny say's look for a specific problem. Might want to do a engine leak down and cylinder compression test to. Your in Texas....think BIG!

how about running MC 5W-20 and not worry about it?
or if you have to, hit the MC 5W-30...great oil, fairly cheap and made for your truck!

I would say try a 5w30 or even a 10w30 Maxlife and see what happens. Slick 50 belongs on the shelf at the store forever.

Quote:

Your post is a little bias....reason why I am saying this is that you say it was losing oil with Mobil...then on to title it Amsoil. How about just saying the truck is consuming oil and you need some advice?

A little touchy there, eh? I didn't see any slam against amsoil.

The best response I've read so far is from Johnny.

Sure you could go to a higher viscosity oil, but this would only mask the problem. I think the Slick50, sorta proved it. If it's not leaking and it doesn't smoke at start up, then the oil is getting in via the bottom end. First make sure the crank case breathing system is good so there is not excess lower end pressure. Second, run a double dose of AutoRx with conventional oil to free up your rings.

If your friend doesn't give a fert for getting to the root cause of the problem, just have him buy any 15W-40 HDEO and go.

No, Amsoil is not a miracle oil, nor is GC. If it's turns out to be stuck ring(s) eventually Amsoil would have loosened them up. However - the usual first thing that happens when people change over to Amsoil in a dirty engine is a bit higher oil consumption, but after a change or two, the consumption stabilizes.

Anyhow, fix the problem and come back to Amsoil! Don't blame Amsoil (not saying you are).

Quote:

Either Castrol High Mileage Oil (dino) or Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic. Do 2-3 OCIs before judging it.

best advice i've heard...doing that on my Galant and then will post the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back