2001 Chev. Prizm- Change Trans. Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my subject car (110k miles)I have never changed the transmission fluid. Owners manual does not recommend changing except under severe service conditions. This car has led a pretty easy life service-wise. Half highway and half city miles with a gentle driver. Never had a transmission problem.
The fluid seems clear but is developing a black tinge to it. Should I change this fluid out? I hesitate only because I've been told that changing the fluid with this many miles may create more problems than it prevents.

I would drop the pan and change the filter and oil. I just wouldn't flush the transmission as this might create problems. Then in 50K miles or when the fluid changes colour I would do it again... This would be more gentle on the system and less likely to quickly remove any crud that had built up and cause problems.

Last edited:
I agree that power flushes are more likely to cause an issue. They can use strong chemicals. Just do a filter and fluid exchange.

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
Sounds like a plan. Thanks to you both.
cheers3.gif
Good Luck!

Get that oil out of there quickly if its BLACK? Do a drain and re-fill a couple of times until that fluid goes RED again. Get the Pennzoil gal. jugs @ Walmart, drain bolt on tranny pan. No need to drop this pan as there's just a metal screen in there.

A drop pan is a must because there is going to be tons of clutch material sticking to the bottom of the AT pan.

So do a pan and filter, and then after a few miles, use the AT flush machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back