2001 Catera 141,000mi oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now as far as filter goes, whats better the cartridge style or the traditional metal oil filter?

I was using the Premium Guard M2224 and I always find them damaged "twisted" when I remove them, didn't see that as a problem before with the WIX filters so the next change will be a WIX filter with the M1 oil.

As far as MPGs go, if you keep it at 60-65 you get around 28mpg... but me being the driver that I am, I end up averaging an average speed of 75mph so you can imagine what kind of driving goes on... sprints up to 100 just to pass someone, so I do drive it hard, and it returns a close to factory MPG based on all that.
Winter cold air doesn't help it either.

Originally Posted By: Catera
Now as far as filter goes, whats better the cartridge style or the traditional metal oil filter?

I was using the Premium Guard M2224 and I always find them damaged "twisted" when I remove them, didn't see that as a problem before with the WIX filters so the next change will be a WIX filter with the M1 oil.

As far as MPGs go, if you keep it at 60-65 you get around 28mpg... but me being the driver that I am, I end up averaging an average speed of 75mph so you can imagine what kind of driving goes on... sprints up to 100 just to pass someone, so I do drive it hard, and it returns a close to factory MPG based on all that.
Winter cold air doesn't help it either.

I run the OEM Hengst or Purolator filters. Bosch also makes an OEM equivalent. The cartridge style filters are just fine, easy to change and I have never had an issue with them.

Your fuel economy is still off, you should see mid to high 20's at 75-80 mph. That is what my friends Catera did and my lighter L300 will get into the low 30's at those speeds. Running through Montana a few years back at 90-95 mph I was in the 22-25 mpg range. If you have not done so, replace all four(4) o2 sensors, I did at 60k miles, and it made a huge difference in overall drive-ability.

Going through a quart every 1500 miles is still high for these motors, most do not even go through a quart in 5000 miles. Even when used in the Saab's with turbos, these engines were not known for oil consumption. The L81/X30XE 54 degree v6's were not very problematic, once you corrected the GM assembly issues; the leaky oil cooler cover, cracked oil coolers, improperly torqued oil pans, improperly installed timing belts... which you did make sure it has been changed and all recalls performed, right?

BTW for those curious as to what the car looks like here is a picture... taken earlier this fall... before I switched over to the winter shoes...
Currently the car is running wihtout the front spoiler and of course winter wheels/tires.

DSC04018.jpg

DSC03637.jpg

Yes, and the reason for that is because this sedan was one of the only Sport sedans that the Cadillac Offered, until the CTS came along and then the Vee series started...

Unfortunately since then I have rebadged the car as a Opel OMEGA, the way it should have been from the factory, and that darn V badge is on the fender for good, the tape that they used is unbelievable, its cemented to the fender, when I pry on it the whole fender gives... so its staying for now until I find a better way to remove it.

I was asking because I wasn't sure if the V existed with the catera.

So you're telling me that the V started with the CTS? I learn something everyday! Thanks! How do you like your Catera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back