2001 Accord V6,Castrol GTX 10W30,1 YEAR,6106mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went one year on this oil change. Here's the analysis from a 6 mos interval for comparison on this same vehicle with the same oil and filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...635#Post1169635

Current Analysis

2001 Honda Accord V6 3.0L EX-L Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Blackstone was the lab used.

This sample had about 1 YEAR of time on the oil, 6,106 miles. No makeup oil added. Vehicle had 88,208 miles on the clock.

COMMENTS:
Both iron and lead were well above average in the first sample from your Honda, which shows excess wear at the bearings. No harmful contaminants were found that would have caused the excess
wear, and the viscosity of the oil read normally. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~6,000 miles,
so you didn't run this oil too long. The TBN read 2.8, some active additive left. 1.0 is too low of a TBN. The
excess wear may be due to something operational, like racing. Or maybe it's a bearing problem. Are you hearing any noise?

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION
Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 30
Copper: 8
Lead: 21
Tin: 1
Molybdenum: 6
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 3
Boron: 2
Silicon: 13
Sodium: 108
Calcium: 2113
Magnesium: 8
Phosphorus: 612
Zinc: 741
Barium: 0

PROPERTIES:
SUS Viscosity @210*F: 60.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C: 10.37
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.4
TBN: 2.8

So it looks like one year may be too long? Although they say the oil still looks good from a viscosity and TBN standpoint.

This car isn't driven very often, thus only 6,106 miles over the one year period. Maybe all the sitting and cold starts?

I'm going to call Blackstone tomorrow to ask some questions. I'll go back to a 6 mos OCI on this car though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go to 6 months, or stick with 1 year with a synthetic and re-sample. You can't go wrong with 6 months on any conventional with that mileage.

I should also add there is a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving in this car.

I'd try a much thicker oil, to 'see' if it helps with bearing wear. GTX HM, or even something like RTS 5W-40 for a year. Oil didn't go out of grade, but 've read sever bearing wear is from an oil that is too thin to protect. Just an idea.

I just got off the phone with Blackstone. They said that this wear wasn't anything to be concerned about, that it was no where near the levels that would indicate any type of problem or failure of the oil. They also indicated that the oil did fine for the one year time frame. They flagged the iron and lead because it was higher than they're typical average from samples submitted, but that's based on all oils, not this particular brand. I'd bet most people sending in oil samples are using synthetic?

I'm going to send in one more sample in 6 mos just to be sure.

I asked if I should switch oil brands and he said that would be unlikely to make any difference. They had a customer run 4 brands of oil in a car that saw track time and street time. All for the same amount of time and same mileage. There was no difference in any of the oil analysis results between the four.

Originally Posted By: Speedy1975
I just got off the phone with Blackstone. They said that this wear wasn't anything to be concerned about, that it was no where near the levels that would indicate any type of problem or failure of the oil. They also indicated that the oil did fine for the one year time frame. They flagged the iron and lead because it was higher than they're typical average from samples submitted, but that's based on all oils, not this particular brand. I'd bet most people sending in oil samples are using synthetic?

I'm going to send in one more sample in 6 mos just to be sure.

I asked if I should switch oil brands and he said that would be unlikely to make any difference. They had a customer run 4 brands of oil in a car that saw track time and street time. All for the same amount of time and same mileage. There was no difference in any of the oil analysis results between the four.

keep the oil and change it twice a year instead of one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back