200000 Miles Completed As Of This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my 2008 Ford Taurus. I change the oil according to the recommendations of the on-board oil change indicator, always at least 6000 miles; and I use whatever the quick lube place puts in (mostly Castrol I think) and the recommended viscosity.
It will not require topping up between changes; in fact it barely moves on the dipstick.
I count this as successful and therefore, if this basic regemin is followed, I believe good results can be expected by the majority of motorists.

Congrats! I've managed to get two vehicles I've owned since new to that magic milestone. Only an alternator was needed on one of those vehicles before 200k. Everything else stock minus fluids/tires/brake pads and rotors.

WWHHAAAAT? You're using a bulk oil from a quickie lube and following the mfg reccomendations and changing the oil per the OLM and have hit 200 K with no problems? OK, OK, whats the punchline?

My opinion,

100,000 miles = the car is no broken in
200,000 miles = you got your money's worth
300,000 miles = you are operating on borrowed time

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Originally Posted By: Kool1
My opinion,

100,000 miles = the car is no broken in
200,000 miles = you got your money's worth
300,000 miles = you are operating on borrowed time

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I agree 100k is nothing on todays vehicles, 200k is the new 100k of yesteryear.

Good job!

Originally Posted By: Buick8
in my 2008 Ford Taurus. I change the oil according to the recommendations of the on-board oil change indicator, always at least 6000 miles; and I use whatever the quick lube place puts in (mostly Castrol I think) and the recommended viscosity.
It will not require topping up between changes; in fact it barely moves on the dipstick.
I count this as successful and therefore, if this basic regemin is followed, I believe good results can be expected by the majority of motorists.

Congrats! I have only owned/sold one car that I didn't take past 200,000 miles so far, and that was the 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I sold to a friend of my daughter who desperately needed a vehicle (it's out there running strong).

Good maintenance is the key, as you've shown.

I start thinking about buying a new vehicle when the old one hits 150,000. I felt like a failure when we got rid of my wife’s ford contour at 91,000. It had a stalling problem that the mechanics could not figure out, so I said, screw it, took it to the dealership with the fingers crossed (That it wouldn’t stall when they test drove it) when we used it for a trade in and got a price for it that was higher than I expected.

How did that car make it without listening to the "Oil Bible" and experimenting with viscosity?

Trolling.gif

200,000 on bulk oil? Yeah, right. You must have used TGMO many times and just won't admit it. Nice job - I've never hit that mark on anything. I got to 184k on an 86 Accord LXi - sold it and then 192k on a 92 Chev Lumina - I sold it cheap after the A/C broke.

I came close to the 200K mark with one car, the W126 Mercedes S-Class. All 200,000 miles weren't on my watch; I bought the car at 133K and drove it to a little over 198K. It got totaled while parked at my work -- totaled by insurance company standards, that is. Every body panel was banged up on the driver's side -- but it still drove fine. I shoulda kept it.

Oil? I used Valvoline 10W-30 in the winter and 20W-50 in summer, both in Denver, and when I came back here I shifted to 15W-40 Chevron Delo, every 5K miles. When I needed the oil pan replaced due to a crack around 190K, my mechanic said the internals looked almost spotless inside.

Originally Posted By: Buick8

I concur, changing the oil is most important with spec'd grade if reasonable intervals leads to long life barring engine design issues. Same experience here.

Congrats on 200k, its nice to get that without a major repair.
My Focus just rolled over 100,000 km this week so I don't think its going to make 320,000 km, but I had it rust sprayed as well so maybe it will last 10 more years at my current commute?
The Tracker has a better chance at 200k miles, and its had everything in it. 5W30 syn/dino, 0/5/15W40 HDEO, and even 20W50 for a summer(the international service manual says its fine above freezing)
Anyways, if we can keep the rust at bay, I'm hoping it will go for quite a while longer.

This picture was taken 5 years ago. I now have 270,000 miles on the truck, no rust, no major problems. I will say these days I replace parts on it for safe measure. I am the original owner.

Welcome to the club

be68f16c-adab-418e-ac8e-dcef62be7005_zps30887731.jpg

Still has a healthy 100,000 miles left in it, right?

Congrats on the milestone (no pun intended). With any luck, I'll be able to get my Focus to 250,000 miles - that is the hope at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back