2000 Volvo V70 XC - Car is not driven much - OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Volvo V70 XC and I don't drive it more than 20 miles per year. I use Amsoil 10W-30 oil. How often should I change oil, and why? I haven't changed oil in over two years. Is this a dangerous thing to do?

Cheers! Rabbit

welcome2.gif
(First Post)

First, why do you have a car that you don't drive more than that per year... Seems like a waste to keep it. But that's not what you asked to I will answer your question...

I would use a quality Dino oil and change it every 2 years and only use a Syn if you have a turbo (off the shelf cheapest that is require to meet your spec).

There is no way that Amsoil or it's cost is anywhere required for this situation...

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Rabbit
I have a 2000 Volvo V70 XC and I don't drive it more than 20 miles per year. I use Amsoil 10W-30 oil. How often should I change oil, and why? I haven't changed oil in over two years. Is this a dangerous thing to do?

Cheers! Rabbit

Will probably be fine, but you should drive the car a bit more.

I just went 18 months with no issues, but I drove 20K miles. With just 20 miles, the oil is fine for two years.

I'm using it a backup car, and I'm trying to keep the mileage down. I use older cars for my job. I don't like dino oils...

The 2000 Volvo V70 XC is a Turbocharged auto.

I'm concerned about acids forming that may be harmful. Amsoil says at least once a year.

How long can I go before changing oil under these circumstances?
Cheers! Rabbit

Last edited:
stick with the amsoil and change it every two years,why? because it'll still be usable and will be fine,do drive it more to keep the moisture out.

Thx, Daman! I appreciate your input. Now, how long can I go without changing oil under these conditions?

3 Years? 4 Years?

Cheers! Rabbit

Note: I start the car about every 2-4 weeks and let it get up to operating temperatures.

Thx, Daman! I appreciate your input. Now, how long can I go without changing oil under these conditions?

3 Years? 4 Years?

Cheers! Rabbit

Note: I start the car about every 2-4 weeks and let it get up to operating temperatures.
2 Years on Amsoil would be my limit. I just think it's overkill to use an expensive product when you have a great oil like Pennzoil Platinum that will last easy 2 years and is much cheaper and will do the same job with such a small amount of miles IMO...

Doesn't dino oil have a higher chance of forming corrosive acids, ect. than synthetic? I don't mind the additional cost of synthetic vs. dino. It is overkill, but I already use Amsoil in an identical 2000 V70 XC (my wifes car).

Her car OCI - 7000 miles relgiously (Volvo's recommended OCI)

Cheers! Rabbit

3 Years? 4 Years?

Whats the conditions?

Originally Posted By: daman
I've done 3 before on a Camaro i had in storage with SL Mobil 1 10w30,cars just fine to this day!!!

Now, I don't feel so concerned. Thx you, Sir!

Any other feedback from the forum?

Cheers! Rabbit

3 Years? 4 Years?

Cheers! Rabbit

Can't help you with how long you can leave Amsoil in under those conditions. I'll leave that for the Amsoil experts.

But, starting the car and idling it to operating temperature is not the same as driving it. That can cause fuel dilution (and other issues) of the oil. Amsoil is good stuff, but as said previously, you really do need to get it out on the road and drive it more. Driving it (under load) will help burn off the fuel and it's generally good for the car and the engine.

And yes, sitting in a garage there can be moisture issues, even in your climate.

Winchester is nice country in the Shenandoah Valley. Home of White House Foods(apples).

Hope that helps
welcome2.gif

J

Doesn't dino oil have a higher chance of forming corrosive acids, ect. than synthetic? I don't mind the additional cost of synthetic vs. dino. It is overkill, but I already use Amsoil in an identical 2000 V70 XC (my wifes car).

Her car OCI - 7000 miles relgiously (Volvo's recommended OCI)

Cheers! Rabbit

I agree with others, it really needs to be either driven more or put into long term storage. The engine oil would be the least of my concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back