Magnesium 339
Phosphorus 993
Zinc 1379
Barium 1

SUS VIS 84.4
cST VIS 16.61
Flashpoint 435
Fuel TBN 3.9

Would replacing the air filter affect the silicone levels?

Yes, replacing the air filter should bring the Silicon numbers down.

Still a lot of wear though... How hard do you run it?

Add. pack numbers show it's a good oil.

Never thought of myself as a hard rider. Mostly just cursing through the mountains. However, on this OCI I took a 500 mile roundtrip to the beach. Ran about 90mph on the interstate. I wouldn't think that would be a wear issue though since there isn't much shifting required when riding on the interstate. I do notice that it never shifts smoothly into second.

that is a very interesting uoa you have there.

your 15w40 went UP a grade to 50wt (83.1101 susvis lower limit).

and since i have tested this very oil i have a very small comparison.

like said above, alum is way high, copper and iron also "seem" high.

lead 6 and tin 4 are either scatter or bearings (which would NOT be good). and that much scatter would make me toss out the entire uoa.
nickel and manganese better be scatter!

silicon is semi-high ish for a road bike.

all in all, i question if this uoa is even your oil!

now, let me also say i dont know this motor and i dont know of any other uoas of this motor to compare against. but the raw numbers still say a lot.

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
that is a very interesting uoa you have there.

your 15w40 went UP a grade to 50wt (83.1101 susvis lower limit).

and since i have tested this very oil i have a very small comparison.

like said above, alum is way high, copper and iron also "seem" high.

lead 6 and tin 4 are either scatter or bearings (which would NOT be good). and that much scatter would make me toss out the entire uoa.
nickel and manganese better be scatter!

silicon is semi-high ish for a road bike.

all in all, i question if this uoa is even your oil!

now, let me also say i dont know this motor and i dont know of any other uoas of this motor to compare against. but the raw numbers still say a lot.

steve

+1

This is a VStar 1100? Surely not a 650. You did say that you made a 90 mph run on the highway?

Air-cooled motor, right? Cartridge oil filter up front on the right side? Gotta drop the pipe to get to it?

Assuming that this is the UOA for your bike, the oil thickened to a 50 weight....

Originally Posted By: outoforder
This is a 650 classic.
Running this 650 at 90MPH means WOT. If for extended periods, you're putting a lot of heat into the engine and oil. I would run a synthetic for this service. Others may have a different opinion.

I would not run this engine at those speeds for extended periods.

Thats probably the worst Uoa ive seen on a cruiser that wasnt blowing up.

I say you'll need to retest, but just in case Id cut that interval in half.

How many oil changes has the bike had?

Oxidative thickening due to excessive temperatures are a strong possibility in this UOA.

I'd shorten the drain interval and pick a different lube. Try Rotella 15W-40 or even Valv. VR1 20W-50.

My clutch plates stick if the bike sits up for too long a time with the VR1 but they work fine after a brief ride.

Holey rodknocker Batman, 90 MPH on a 500 mile trip. Does it still run? My V-Star 650 would get very angry if I did that.

Take it easy. With the speedometer error on a Japanese bike it is probably only doing 80-82 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back