2000 V-Star Classic 3000 miles Rotella 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motorcycle currently has 21,560 miles. I am listing two oil analysis. The first column is my most recent analysis. The second column is the previous analysis from when I rode my bike to the beach. This trip involved WOT for about 2 hours on the interstate. Also, the second column is Delo 15w40.

--------Rotella------------- Delo
Aluminum---11---------------52
Chromium----1----------------2
Iron--------21---------------76
Copper------4---------------17
Lead---------2---------------6
Tin----------2---------------4
Moly--------19-------------157
Nickel--------0---------------1
Manganese ---0---------------2
Silver--------0----------------0
Titanium-----0---------------0
Potassium----4----------------3
Boron-------49-------------395
Silicon-------8---------------22
Sodium------4----------------7
Calcium---2146------------2208
Magnesium-173--------------339
Phosphorus-922--------------993
Zinc-------1143------------1377
Barium--------0---------------1
Sus/Visc-----74.7-----------84.4
Flash--------395-------------435

On it's face the Rotella offered better protection than the Delo because of the significantly lower Iron & Aluminum numbers.

However, I would consider these results far from conclusive. It's hard to know what other variables could have contributed here.

A cool test would be to run another fill of Delo, and then another subsequent run of Rotella.

Sounds like plan. My next oil change also calls for putting in a new oil filter so I will fill up with Delo and see what happens

How fast was the bike going at wot for 2 hr?? Had to be flying. How many rpms is it limited to? Figure an easy 240 miles in those 2 hrs.

I was pushing 90-95mph. Don't know how many rmps, bike doesn't have a tach. Forgot to mention the bike is a 650

Last edited:
I had an 06 1100. Great bikes.
I think they have a ceramic cylinder liner so wear metals should be low,unless the 650 doesn't. I am fairly sure(not positive) that the 1100s do.
I used rotella in mine,and every shared sump bike I've ever had. Never a clutch or engine issue

Thanks for posting. I now run 20/50 Valvoline Motorcycle Dino oil in the summer but my winter changes I use the 15/40's. Right now I have new delo 15/40 in the garage, always liked Delo but have nothing against the 15/40 Rotella. Im due for my winter change and may (or may not) use the Delo in the lawnmower and try Rotella in the bike again or one of the other 15/40's *L* or a mix of my remaining 20/50 with 2 quests of 10/40 ... geez.
Either way I will run a UOA once the spring gets here.
Im surprised at the amount of Moly in the Delo, it was my understanding that the new Delo didnt have much in it. When was the Delo UOA done?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back