2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (2ZZ-GE) GC+LC, 3,455 on oil, 59,661 on unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
code:

Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (2ZZ-GE engine) 6 speed trans

Oil: German Castrol 0W-30, 10 oz of Lube Control at initial fill and 2 oz added at 1k, 2k, and 3k miles

Sump Capacity: ~4.8 quarts

Miles on oil: 3,455

Miles on car: 59,661

Date of Sample: 4/19/2005

Date of Analysis: 5/4/2005

Lab: Blackstone

TBN: Not done

Aluminum: 2

Chromium: 1

Iron: 6

Copper: 3

Lead: 7

Tin: 0

Molybdenum: 3

Nickel: 0

Manganese: 0

Silver: 0

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 0

Boron: 7

Silicon: 5

Sodium: 2

Calcium: 2922

Magnesium: 122

Phosphorus: 825

Zinc: 945

Barium: 0

Sus.@210F: 63.0 (59-68 normal)

Flash Point: 400F (>385F)

Fuel:
Antifreeze: 0.0% (0%)

Water: 0.0% (
Insolubles: 0.4% (pre>

NOTE: Used between 1-3 oz of Fuel Power per each 5 gallons of fuel. Spark plugs changed during this interval and Permatex anti-seized used. This run was using and M03x batch of GC during this run.

I am slowly extending out the intervals to a max of 6k and playing with various LC dosages. Taking a break right now to use some Redline 10W-40 (see VOA section or link below) with 1oz per quart and 1oz per 1k miles for the summer, won't run RL anymore than 5k miles.

I attribute the 3ppm more of iron this run due to the older batch of GC and the higher Phosphorous and Zinc to the amount of LC used during this run (16 ounces total).

Previous UOA

UOA on Lube Control by mikeyoilnutt

VOA on Redline 10W-40 that I'm currently using

quote:

Originally posted by CincyGTS:
I attribute the 3ppm more of iron this run due to the older batch of GC and the higher Phosphorous and Zinc to the amount of LC used during this run (16 ounces total).

Actually those numbers are so low and considering all of the variables of analysis inaccuracies, weather, slightly different driving conditions and the very low numbers to begin with I doubt you could attribute to anything in particular. Great report. Obviously you could have gone much further.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by CincyGTS:

Actually those numbers are so low and considering all of the variables of analysis inaccuracies, weather, slightly different driving conditions and the very low numbers to begin with I doubt you could attribute to anything in particular. Great report. Obviously you could have gone much further.

The extra iron in earlier batches of GC is a known, if that is what you were referring to.

As for the phos & zinc whose to know, I haven't seen a lot of GC VOA's posted to know for sure except to say that the car was driven very consistently, other than the temp warming up from this run (which I would expect to see a bit of zinc/phos consumption).

When I get done running the Redline 10W-40 that's in it now it's going to throw everything off for a UOA (namely the 500ppm of moly), See my post in the VOA section.

As a sidenote, I always shake the oil bottles for at least 20 sec. before I dump 'em in, kind of an old habit, maybe slightly obsessive/compulsive.

Good results. But why bother with lube control
dunno.gif
when your oil is only in your crankcase for 3.5k miles?

OT: at what rpm does the VVTi-L start to kick in?

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Good results. But why bother with lube control
dunno.gif
when your oil is only in your crankcase for 3.5k miles?

OT: at what rpm does the VVTi-L start to kick in?

The extra lift kicks in just above 6k rpms.

As with the LC, I really meant to go to 4k on this and slowly increase 1k each change or so and wanted to see what the impact of various LC dosages would have on viscosity, etc.

I still have like 60 quarts of GC in my basement so I've got a while to go before I need to find a new alternative and repeat the process all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back