2000 Olds Intrigue stearing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes when I pull out of my driveway and turn the stearing wheel I hear a slight rubbing sound.It doesn't do it again until the car sits for a while.Back when the car was still under warranty I took it to the dealer and told them about the problem.One of the service managers said "It's nothing to worry about and it's just normal".I told him to jump off a cliff and I asked another "Service Manager" and he had someone take a look at it.The manager told me that a part needed greased and only a special kind of G.M. grease will fix this and if this happens again I had to bring it back if I want it greased again.Sounds like a load of [censored]!Anybody know if I need a special grease and what part needs to be greased?

Originally Posted By: gonzo
Sometimes when I pull out of my driveway and turn the stearing wheel I hear a slight rubbing sound.It doesn't do it again until the car sits for a while.Back when the car was still under warranty I took it to the dealer and told them about the problem.One of the service managers said "It's nothing to worry about and it's just normal".I told him to jump off a cliff and I asked another "Service Manager" and he had someone take a look at it.The manager told me that a part needed greased and only a special kind of G.M. grease will fix this and if this happens again I had to bring it back if I want it greased again.Sounds like a load of [censored]!Anybody know if I need a special grease and what part needs to be greased?

What he said was true. GM had a lot of problems with the steering shafts then and it effected a lot of cars and trucks. The original TSB instructed the dealer to use a special grease provided to lube the shafts. If the lube did not work, then the shaft was replaced. When you hear this sound, you will even feel it in the wheel in the more severe cases. It is not a safety concern - but can be an annoyance.

Thanks GM BOY!I can't believe my dealer didn't mention to me about maybe replacing a shaft.(sarcasim).What a bunch of lazy bums.Is this grease avaliable to purchase at a dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back