2000 Miles - Pentosin 0W-30 VS - 01 BMW 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a VOA and a UOA from Pentosin Pentospeed 0W-30 VS. The car is driven about 50/50 between highway and city miles. Take a look at this and let me know what you think.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Virgin
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 0W/30
FUEL TYPE: Not Applicable
OIL USE INTERVAL: 0
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Pentosin Pentospeed 0W/30

SHANE: Nothing too unusual showed up in this sample of virgin oil. The viscosity read normally for a
0W/30 and the trace wear metals are an increasingly common find in virgin oils. They may be from the
tanker or pipeline and aren't a problem. The TBN was very strong at 11.2 so this oil starts out with
plenty of active additive. Calcium and magnesium are detergent dispersants. Phosphorus and zinc
are anti-wear additives. This oil should work well for your engine(s).

MI/HR ON OIL - 0
MI/HR ON UNIT - N/A
SAMPLE DATE - 08/05/07

ALUMINUM - 1
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 1
COPPER - 0
LEAD - 0
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 2
NICKEL - 0
MANGANESE - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 0
BORON - 2
SILICON - 4
SODIUM - 2
CALCIUM - 1701
MAGNESIUM - 486
PHOSPHORUS - 829
ZINC - 1004
BARIUM - 0

TBN - 11.2

SUS
VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF - 67.8

FLASHPOINT IN ºF - 415

FUEL % - 0

ANTIFREEZE % - 0

WATER % - 0

INSOLUBLES % - 0

-------------------------------------------------------------
EQUIPMENT MAKE: BMW
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 2.5L 6-cyl (M54)
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 2,000 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Gasoline Engine Oil
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

SHANE: We're glad you haven't changed this oil yet because it can easily be run longer. Wear was
low and no fuel, coolant, or moisture was found. The TBN was still strong at 6.7 so you have plenty of
active additive remaining. We suggest running this oil another 4,000 miles and resampling to monitor,
as you may be able to run the oil longer. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were
low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration. Silicon read normally at 2 ppm so the air filtration system is
working well, too. Nice engine! Check back for another look.

MI/HR ON OIL - 2000
MI/HR ON UNIT - 114,573
SAMPLE DATE - 09/03/07

ALUMINUM - 2
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 3
COPPER - 2
LEAD - 0
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 2
NICKEL - 0
MANGANESE - 1
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 1
BORON - 7
SILICON - 2
SODIUM - 3
CALCIUM - 2988
MAGNESIUM - 69
PHOSPHORUS - 901
ZINC - 1141
BARIUM - 0

TBN - 6.7

SUS
VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF - 65.1

FLASHPOINT IN ºF - 400

FUEL % -
ANTIFREEZE % - 0.0

WATER % - 0.0

INSOLUBLES % - 0.2

The one thing that shows up about this that makes me wonder if there was an error in one of the samples is the difference in Calcium levels.

The power of lab inaccuracies. Ca/Mg look messed up. Also, don't rule out 'formula' change from different bottles.

Oh well, looks excellent. Oil should easily make 7.5k.

Quote:

What is the BMW recommended oil change interval? Maybe 10-15,000 miles?

If I'm not mistaken the OLM in this car will suggest and OCI of 15k miles. I strongly agree with unDummy and those who recommend halfing it to 7.5k miles. Even the owner's manual tacitly recommends this by having a place for a dealership oilchange stamp in between the 15k miles oil change stamp location. They call this an intermediate oil change or something similar.

e46 owners tied to the 15k oil change should look to the back of their owner's manual if they don't believe me.

In any case, this is looking good. I'll look forward to a 7.5k analysis on this oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back