2000 Maxima Transmission Oil

First post. I'm looking for a gear oil suitable for use in a 2000 5 speed manual Maxima. Owner's manual specs 4 3/4 qts of 75w90 or 80w90 GL4 oil. Local options are STP , SuperTech , Napa , Valvoline. Trying to keep cost down.

Last edited:
What about Amazon or another online retailer ? There aren't many dedicated manual transmission fluids

What about Amazon or another online retailer ? There aren't many dedicated manual transmission fluids
Would this work ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-202215.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-202215.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 14
I can deal with $100 for 5 qts of Redline MT90. What's the difference between Redline and Valvoline 75 / 80w90 for example ?

Most of the shelf gear oil is GL-5 meant for differentials the EP additives in GL-5 gear oils have poor compatibility with brass synchronizers and may at least cause worse quality and at worst cause accelerated wear. So for a manual transmission always look for a dedicated GL-4 gear oil and I'd still avoid the products that say GL-4+ or GL-4/GL-5 because they're really just GL-5 with some additives I bit that are supposed to reduce the reactivity between the EP additives and the brass synchros, but it's still best to use a dedicated GL-4 lube.

Most of the shelf gear oil is GL-5 meant for differentials the EP additives in GL-5 gear oils have poor compatibility with brass synchronizers and may at least cause worse quality and at worst cause accelerated wear. So for a manual transmission always look for a dedicated GL-4 gear oil and I'd still avoid the products that say GL-4+ or GL-4/GL-5 because they're really just GL-5 with some additives I bit that are supposed to reduce the reactivity between the EP additives and the brass synchros, but it's still best to use a dedicated GL-4 lube.
Gotcha. I'll see about ordering the Redline MT90 in a few days. At the moment the trans shifts fine.

I can deal with $100 for 5 qts of Redline MT90. What's the difference between Redline and Valvoline 75 / 80w90 for example ?
The valvoline fluid is almost half of the viscosity And isn’t synthetic

First post. I'm looking for a gear oil suitable for use in a 2000 5 speed manual Maxima. Owner's manual specs 4 3/4 qts of 75w90 or 80w90 GL4 oil. Local options are STP , SuperTech , Napa , Valvoline. Trying to keep cost down.
I would probably just use supertech and call it a day

Most 75w90 gear oil you'll find is ill-suited for manual transmission use.

Besides the Redline already mentioned, the only 75w90 GL4 that's safe to use in a manual transmission calling for it that you'll find on the shelf of a US store is Liqui-Moly 20012 at Napa.

Another choice is Motorcraft XT-M5-QS which is made by Castrol and quite expensive.

Pennzoil sells a 75w90 GL4 in Canada but not the US.

The only GL-4 supertech product I know of is the tractor fluid and that's still a little too thin for an application calling for 75W90 or 80w-90
oh i assumed the fluids he listed were gl-4 fluids. I would just choose the cheapest known name gl-4 fluid.

Any of those listed will be fine if they meet your vehicle's spec. requirements.

Back