2000 Lexus es300 harder starting.

I noticed one day many years ago my es300 took twice as long to start. If before it took 2 seconds now it takes 4. It has always started so i just put off looking into it at all. But recently I have noticed some other things and I'm wondering if they are all related. The exhaust smells a little more exhausty than your average car. most vehicles you cant really smell the exhaust but this one does smell maybe more like incomplete combustion? Also the off the line power seems down until it gets around 2-3k rpms then the power noticeably picks up. The final thing is if you start the car cold and drive away its really down on power like your giving it half throttle to get moving decently. One more thing to mention is the fuel tank is rusted near the seam so i can only fill the tank half way and the cel is on because the tank cant hold pressure. Other than that there is no cel for anything. Line up and take your guesses on the issue.

I will fix the tank first and go from there.

this.jpg

While my 2000 Camry is a 4 cylinder, I had this last year. Changed the fuel filter, fixed immediately. And I had changed it 5 years or so prior (supposedly a “lifetime” filter).

While my 2000 Camry is a 4 cylinder, I had this last year. Changed the fuel filter, fixed immediately. And I had changed it 5 years or so prior (supposedly a “lifetime” filter).
Hmm i also changed the fuel filter but it was probably 10 years ago. Thats good to know.

Check fuel rail pressure, I suspect it’s bleeding down due to a faulty regulator, or if it’s used in the Camry, a failing pulsation damper. Try keying it on 4 times for 3 second each then cranking it. If it starts quickly, it’s a fuel pressure issue.

Back