2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee score!

You got a good deal for sure! My son picked up a nice Laredo from a person we know for $300 and it drives well. It has 343k miles but was serviced properly by the woman who basically did anything Firestone told her she needed. It only had a slightly slipping transmission that they said needed replaced at $3900. So she sold the truck. The real problem was the kickdown cable was broken off the TB. It is a good running 4.0L. Then my son found a parts Cherokee Limited for 400 - not running and he swapped the leather interior and white faced gauges and added the auto dimming mirror and whatever stuff he wanted. Took the rest and is selling parts he doesn't need. Once he is done the body will go to scrap where he should get a 200 or so. So you got a running V8 4WD for 400 is a steal

UPDATE:

I got the power steering hose installed yesterday and bled the system. All is well. Whoever owned this thing for the majority of its life really loved it, it drive like a truck with half the miles on it.

So far, the list of issues I've found:

3/4 door lock actuators are buzzing. Not a huge deal, I should be able to source those from the pick n pull.

Rattle in the rear over bumps. Who knows, but something small I'm sure.

A bit of a whine while coasting at highway speeds. It's going to get Amsoil in the diff's and OEM fluid in the t-case and I'll go from there.

Driver's seat power adjustment for the front edge of the seat doesn't adjust up and down. It's not in a terrible position, but it may start to bug me.

On the plus side, all the main items are A-ok. AC blows cold, purrs like an absolute kitten, temp gauge is rock solid at 195, oil pressure 55+. Transmission shifts positively and smooth. I'm beyond thrilled with my score at this point.

JGC with 4.0: 😄
JGC with literally anything else: :poop:

Still a good score. Cut the cats off and sell 'em before somebody else does you the favor!
My 1999 JGC with 4.7 is still going strong @ 207,000 miles. I guess Im just one of the lucky ones.

My 1999 JGC with 4.7 is still going strong @ 207,000 miles. I guess Im just one of the lucky ones.
The '01 I had was another example of a 4.7 with no issues...over 200k before sold and still going. I never understood why anyone would want the 4.0 in the Grand...solid engine but antiquated and underpowered even back in '99 for the WJ launch.

Road signs better watch out next winter. This is a really great deal on that WJ. My WJ's rear diff whined ever since I got it 18+ years ago, still driving fine.

I think the 99-00 V8s have an extra transmission gear that the dealer can enable; it would've turned the 99-00 45RFE into the 01+ 545RFE but not worth it if they overcharge you for the update. You can search for 45RFE TSB if you want to look into it but at that mileage it might be good to leave things alone apart from changing the fluid. Good luck!

Road signs better watch out next winter. This is a really great deal on that WJ. My WJ's rear diff whined ever since I got it 18+ years ago, still driving fine.

I think the 99-00 V8s have an extra transmission gear that the dealer can enable; it would've turned the 99-00 45RFE into the 01+ 545RFE but not worth it if they overcharge you for the update. You can search for 45RFE TSB if you want to look into it but at that mileage it might be good to leave things alone apart from changing the fluid. Good luck!
Yep, Mine was done before I bought it. Had the little sticker under the hood stating it had been done.

Up here, the rusted out rockers would mean you could not safety it until they were patched properly with metal.
That requirement takes a lot of vehicles off the road here. You used to be able to patch it anyway that covered the hole - bondo and newspaper, fibreglass...now it has to be welded-in metal.
I was lucky I have a BIL who likes to weld when I put my G5 on the road...

Up here, the rusted out rockers would mean you could not safety it until they were patched properly with metal.
That requirement takes a lot of vehicles off the road here. You used to be able to patch it anyway that covered the hole - bondo and newspaper, fibreglass...now it has to be welded-in metal.
I was lucky I have a BIL who likes to weld when I put my G5 on the road...
Rusted rockers are pretty easy to fix on these Jeeps. Cut out the old and weld in a square tube in it's place. Now they also double as rock sliders.

I do know there's a sticker under the hood about a PCM update, I would have to run the number to see what it was for.

I'd be willing to bet it's got the 545 update, and the only reason I say that is that while ordering brakes I discovered it's got Akebono front brake calipers, which only would have been installed at part of the front brake warpage TSB when it was a young truck. I was actually happy to see this, the TEVES front calipers that were used from '99-'02 really were a poor design.

Back