2000 international 4700 coolant type

So I have an 2000 International 4700 wrecker I drive at work. Has the DT466E behind the Spicer 6+1 gearbox. Trying to figure out what coolant it should use, I’m getting no consistent answers from our usual diesel shop. Anyone have an idea?

If you see through the turd-colored coolant tank you should be able to make out what color is the coolant you're running right now.
50/50 chance it's green or red (nitrite-free) coolant.

This is from a 2012 Intertrashional Trashforce maXXXforce DT7. It's green.
IMG_0148.JPG

Last edited:
Now that I’m not driving all other the NW…

Red is what it has now, I was curious as before the rebuild, the rig had green, which had an additive pre charged with the coolant filter. Now I understand that the red HD coolant supersedes it.

Now that I’m not driving all other the NW…

Red is what it has now, I was curious as before the rebuild, the rig had green, which had an additive pre charged with the coolant filter. Now I understand that the red HD coolant supersedes it.
Should be ELC, with the Cat EC-1 spec. Final Charge is a pretty good choice, & available lots of places.

If you see through the turd-colored coolant tank you should be able to make out what color is the coolant you're running right now.
50/50 chance it's green or red (nitrite-free) coolant.

This is from a 2012 Intertrashional Trashforce maXXXforce DT7. It's green.
View attachment 110775
Didn’t Ford specify G-05 for their version of that engine?

If it was me, I’d run a heavy-duty ELC, nitrite-free coolant like Final Charge or Prestone Command Cor-Guard. It looks like Prestone(KIK) and Old World Industries(which I strongly suspect they have CCI make their coolant) is pushing Japanese-style pHOATs for heavy-duty applications, which not surprisingly is used by Isuzu and Hino in their diesels.

Would have had conventional green in it from the factory with a pre charged coolant filter. Red ELC that meets the cat EC1 and cummins 14603 spec would be the way to go these days.

Cavitation is a big issue with any wet sleeve diesel engine including the DT series so you want to use a good diesel rated coolant. Cavitation occurs from the cylinder walls flexing from the high compression of combustion. This flexing of the cylinder walls creates small bubbles that implode on themselves eroding the cylinder wall over time.

@KE7JFF may I recommend you ask your local shop there about Fleetguard coolant. We make fully-formulated heavy-duty diesel coolants in a range of types/technologies. Since it's an older application, are you needing to top off frequently or how often are you maintaining the coolant? That may help you understand what you need to use.

Here's a handy guide that shows cross-references between coolant brands today: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/s...6262 Coolant Cross Reference Brochure NEW.pdf

Back