2000 Impala - Stalling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmt

My son owns a 2000 Impala (3.8 L engine) that has suddenly developed a serious, intermittent stalling problem. He has been to a couple mechanics and a large Chev dealer - has spent a fair amount of money all ready with no improvement.
Both my son and I have been searching for websites and forums, but all the info we have been able to glean so far has been pretty random.
Does anyone know of a good site that might cover the FWD Impala's maintenace/repair issues?
TIA
pmt

Do you think it's a fuel or ignition related problem? Might be the fuel pump. My S-10 was doing the same thing until I changed the pump. How many miles are on the car and when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Change the filter your self and take note of what type of gas comes out of there. On my S-10 the gas was black and had water in it, goes to show what went through the pump. If you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can hook up would help determine if it's the pump. Not sure what the pressure should be on your car but if the pump is going bad, I'm sure it would take a dive in pressure when the stalling occurs.

Car has 74,000 mi. Fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, and fuel pump have all been replaced. Will stall out at freeway or slow speeds. Lately at high speeds can notice the engine shake or miss just before it stalls out. Once in a while engine will shake, but then recover without stalling.
Thanks.
pmt

When it stalls out, does the engine shut off completely or does it kinda hesitate a little but keep running?

Sounds like you eliminated the fuel side and your problem, and is more then likely on the ignition side, not?

Does it seem to stall more in wet or rainy weather?

My wife had a Lumina that would miss in wet, rainy weather. To fix it, I had to take the coil packs off the mounting plate they plug into and clean the rubber o-rings and lubricate them with a dielectric grease.

Had a similar problem with a 3.8; it was the crank position pick-up/sensor. The car I had had two of them, computer switched to the other one after a serious stumble, it never stopped running, lucky for me.

Quote:

When it stalls out, does the engine shut off completely or does it kinda hesitate a little but keep running?

Sounds like you eliminated the fuel side and your problem, and is more then likely on the ignition side, not?

Does it seem to stall more in wet or rainy weather?

My wife had a Lumina that would miss in wet, rainy weather. To fix it, I had to take the coil packs off the mounting plate they plug into and clean the rubber o-rings and lubricate them with a dielectric grease.

When it stalls the engine shuts off completely. Dash lights, A/C fan, radio all stay on. Stalling has occurred in all types of weather, ambient temperatures, and humidity. It has stalled many times in perfectly dry weather.
Thanks. pmt

My guess would be the crank sensor also. It looks like you may have to throw some parts at it since it's an intermittent problem. This is still cheaper than being charged by a mechanic fot doing the same thing or being told they can't find the problem. See if there are any GM TSB's on this issue.

I want to thank all for their input. It turned out to be the crank sensor. Your input helped us narrow in on that as being one of the common failures we had not yet addressed. Car is running great now.
pmt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back