2000 Honda ex /1.6 vtec motor what oil to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new on here but not new to forums at all. I did some searching on here and other threads on the net. I have a 2000 Honda ex with the 1.6 vtec manual trans. My question is I bought this car from a guy who has worked as a tech for Honda for 15 years. He bought it off a customer who ran it dry on oil. Before that it always had synthetic and after a complete rebuild of everything it now has 45k on it. He swears by Valvoline synthetic even over Hondas stuff. Can I get away with going to a conventional? I don't mind staying synthetic because I do like the 7000 mile change intervals. I drive a lot of highway. I drive pretty aggressive mainly on curvy roads. No im not 16 I just like how the car handles...lol. I do run 5w30 like the owners manual says. I have read I can do 5w20 as well but it gets quite cold and quite hot here in Missouri. 106 today. Id like to go back to Mobil 1 that ive always used or ive had good luck out of Castrol gtx for a conventional. Sorry for such a long post my heads spinning from all that ive read over the last couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use whatever oil you like. That engine isn't hard on oil and will last forever no matter what you put in it.
You can use a 5w-20 and the engine will thank you for it.

I willing to bet that poor car had a terrible life maintence wise, 45000 and run dry of oil, you could proably run that engine at least 15000 miles before running it dry. Or is that 45000 after rebuild( my bad).

Last edited:
The fact that your Honda mechanic swears by Valvolene synthethic should raise red flags regarding his knowledge of lubrication.

Not that Valvolene is any less of an oil than others. But anyone that knows about oil will admit that the difference between quality oil brands is not significant and that the proper grade at the proper interval is what matters most (for "normal/average" conditions).

You will have success with either conventional or synthetic. Adjust your OCI's accordingly. Don't over think this, but you are at the right place if that is what you wish to do. My main point is, don't give too much weight to an "expert" that swears by one brand.

Welcome to BITOG.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The fact that your Honda mechanic swears by Valvolene synthethic should raise red flags regarding his knowledge of lubrication.

Not that Valvolene is any less of an oil than others. But anyone that knows about oil will admit that the difference between quality oil brands is not significant and that the proper grade at the proper interval is what matters most (for "normal/average" conditions).

You will have success with either conventional or synthetic. Adjust your OCI's accordingly. Don't over think this, but you are at the right place if that is what you wish to do. My main point is, don't give too much weight to an "expert" that swears by one brand.

Welcome to BITOG.

Amen. The Major brand oils are so close in performance today, it is really just your preference. That engine would do great on any 5w20. Look at the sales going on at your local autoparts stores and go with what color bottle you like best.
WELCOME

Oh, come on. We all have our favorites, and most of us swear by them.

I would be more concerned by a guy that says use whatever you want as long as it is the proper grade - that motor will last forever.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Oh, come on. We all have our favorites, and most of us swear by them.

I would be more concerned by a guy that says use whatever you want as long as it is the proper grade - that motor will last forever.
whistle.gif

36.gif

if you worry about heat in summer use 5w-30 as recommended per original manual, and 0/5w-20 during winter. Switch oil late spring/fall. If most miles are hwy, and engine is easy on oil, you most likely will be able to run 7k miles on modern conventional.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
I willing to bet that poor car had a terrible life maintence wise, 45000 and run dry of oil, you could proably run that engine at least 15000 miles before running it dry. Or is that 45000 after rebuild( my bad).

Actually a woman owned it since new and I got a stack of nice records she kept on it. She actually didn't know the rear main was leaking. They told her at the mechanic that it was. Well what had happened she went out of state on business and she forgot to check the oil along the way and ran it dry. The motor was completely overhauled at 156k and it has 194k on it now. Its all been rebuilt correctly with new pistons,rings, rod bearings, etc . My buddy has been a Honda tech for 15 or so years and he ,like most of has his favorite brand which is Valvoline. Myself I like M1. I have also used Castrol products with good luck. The cars accept for a few dings is in fabulous shape. Thank you for all the help. Ill be reading more on here im a geek that way lol

Last edited:
Isn't Valvoline one of the more modest synthetics? Nothing wrong with it, but nothing special about it at all. Yes, it and just about every other good brand will give excellent service. My favorite is Mobil/Penns/QState/Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall/Chevron/Texaco/Castrol.........

BTW. This will be my first oil change since I bought the car from him. It does consume a little bit of oil on the 7k mile intervals. About a quart in 7k I believe. But from what I read that's normal on a VTEC motor to consume a bit. There are no leaks just about every 3000 its a half or quarter qt. low.

From what i have read here, and other places, if you like Mobil 1, try there High mileage stuff. Seems too have a stronger additive pack and a lot of people here love it and at Wally world, its the same price as regular Mobil 1.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_5W-30.aspx

It also comes in both 5w30 and 5w20. Actually thinking of running it in my two beaters (in my signature) this fall too see how it does.

I like Valvoline, have used it for over 20 years, never had an issue from using any of there products, they are a reputable company, but nothing wrong with any of the other top brands as well.

Good luck

I have seen so many members here state to run what the manufacturer recommends. Now I see some members recommending or suggesting to use 5W20. I guess you just change the rules as you go.
If Honda has back spec'd 5W20 for your engine and you feel comfortable using it, by all means, do so. If it is spec'd 5W30 and you choose to use that, then do so.
I use both in my engine and can't tell the difference, and quite honestly, I don't think the engine can either! I get the same gas mileage using either one, 5W30 or 5W20.
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back