2000 Honda Civic 1.6L under valve cover pics

2000 Honda Civic 1.6L with 160k miles. A friend just picked it up and I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, coolant, and valve cover gasket on it.

Here is a pic from under the valve cover. Judging by the service stickers on the windshield and the numerous oil change receipts in the glovebox, it has had Valvoline or Pennzoil conventional 5w30 every 5-6,000 miles with cheap quickie lube filters. We used Pennzoil HM 5w30 and a Fram PH3593A filter.
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Very nice. How does it run & sound?

Runs/sounds great, and he's been getting 35 mpg.

Looks good. Too bad you're far away cause I have some filters and for that gen Civic.

Those cars run forever with basic maintenance.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Looks good.
They are prone to head gasket failures though. So I would keep this in mind.

Yup, I'm aware. Went through that on a sister's 2005 Civic. This one showed no signs of that when it was purchased, and to me is the equivalent of taking apart a lawn mower engine (super simple) so if that happens we will tackle that bridge once we get to it.

A little background:

This car was purchased from the original owner (elderly woman) and had been sitting a few months under a pine tree in her driveway. It has very little rust, the body is very clean, and just has a few dents. My friend has hit some hard financial times, and he is now driving 90 miles a day for work and is selling his 2008 Tacoma that he has a decent sized loan on in order to get out from the loan and save $100 a week in fuel. This car was bought for $1500, and I helped him do the following maintenance on it as long as he provided the parts:

-Timing belt/water pump/coolant/drive belts
-Power steering and brake fluid change (brakes looked to have been replaced recently)
-oil/filter change
-air filter
-fuel filter
-spark plugs, cap and rotor
-transmission fluid drain and fill

For being 20 years old the car drives fantastic (no rattles, nice and solid) and gets 35 mpg, compared to his Tacoma which was averaging 16 mpg. The heat and AC even work! Once he sells the truck he will be out of debt and start building himself back up again.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good.
They are prone to head gasket failures though. So I would keep this in mind.
I have a 97 civic with the same motor. If they are properly maintained they will go forever. The kid around the corner had one with a bad head gasket, he tried to fix it himself, but I don't think he was successful. He probably bought it with the bad head gasket and had no clue.

The old Honda D-series are some good engines, last in the line of the Honda belt driven backwards (counter-clockwise) running engines.

That looks great! Testement to Honda engines and quality conventional oil changed at reasonable intervals.

2000 Honda Civic 1.6L with 160k miles. A friend just picked it up and I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, coolant, and valve cover gasket on it.

Here is a pic from under the valve cover. Judging by the service stickers on the windshield and the numerous oil change receipts in the glovebox, it has had Valvoline or Pennzoil conventional 5w30 every 5-6,000 miles with cheap quickie lube filters. We used Pennzoil HM 5w30 and a Fram PH3593A filter.
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice 👍

Back