2000 honda accord lx oil and filter suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently Purchased a 2000 Honda accord lx with 154000 miles with the 2.3l VTEC 4 cyl. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for this engine. I'm just planning to put the vwb 5w30 in my stash for the next oci. Any suggestions on a good filter are welcome.

Last edited:
This engine will be happy with the VWB or any other thirty or twenty grade oil you want to use.
For filters, I've used everything from the Fram OCD through the Puro Classic, P1 and D+ along with a few M1s in our '99, which we've had since new.
This engine isn't picky about either oil or oil filter.

I have an Honda accord 2000 SE 2.4l

I usually buy whatever on sale , but Mobil1 5000 / PP with PurOne is what I would go with.

You have nice cleaning power plus good oil with a good additive package.

oils to trust:
Mobil 5000
Mobil1
PP

filters :
P1
K&N
Mobil
Fram ULTRA
Bosh D+

Keep OCI to 5k and you should be fine. Honda's can take a beating. Just make sure you do the other maintenance , and use Honda genuine power steering and ATF if you change them.

Last edited:
What's your driving like? annual mileage, commute distance, etc.

M1 and Edge can do 10k easily unless most of your trips are like 2 miles and the engine never warms up!

In non-short-trip driving, I think the factory OCI was 7500 miles, so your trusty WVB or any other dino should be able to pull that off, but of course nothing is wrong with 5k either.

My favorite oil filter is the Purolator PureOne. Not only is it a great filter, but it has this awesome textured grip which really helps, especially considering Honda's stupid oil filter location which they just FINALLY corrected in the 8th-gen Civic (2006+). The yellow color is cool too.

There is a Purolator Synthetic filter out there (blue can with the same textured grip), but it's not worth the extra money over the yellow P1.

A 2000 Accord 4 cyl has an engine of 2.3 liters, not 2.4 liters.
The '03-'12 cars use an indirect injection 2.4 liter with a timing chain rather than the timing belt found on every Accord engine through the '02 model year.

I have an 02 Accord which has the same engine as OP's car. I've had it since new and switched over to M1 5w-20 at 100k miles. Since his car is 153k miles on it, I would make sure there are no oil leaks if he decides to run synthetic oil. But as people above me said, these Hondas can take a beating and you can run any gokd quality oil. As far as filters, the OEM Honda ones are overrated re-packaged Frams. I use Purolator PureOnes and cant complain about their quality.

I remember when I found a dealer that had a stock of OEM made in Japan Toyo Roki filters. I bought four and got a 10% discount for paying cash. At the time I'd only wished I'd bought more.

I always check for leaks and this car seemed to be leak free. I also had some havoline 5w30 syn from that august advance auto special. The dealer I bought it from just did an oil change before I bought it around 17 miles ago so its a waste to change it now IMO. I might run the next oci with havoline syn and hope no new leaks spring up. Ill prob run that havoline to 8k. Gonna go for a pure one if I can get a special If not puro classic or I might be able to get a good deal on Napa silver/ carquest/ wix.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I have an 02 Accord which has the same engine as OP's car. I've had it since new and switched over to M1 5w-20 at 100k miles. Since his car is 153k miles on it, I would make sure there are no oil leaks if he decides to run synthetic oil. But as people above me said, these Hondas can take a beating and you can run any gokd quality oil. As far as filters, the OEM Honda ones are overrated re-packaged Frams. I use Purolator PureOnes and cant complain about their quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back