2000 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE with the SPI engine and 165K on the odometer. I have an intermittent problem. This started about four years ago. When driving at hwy speeds the engine will start to miss and will eventually die. At first I would coast to the side of the road hit the starter and it would immediately fire up. I might go two miles or two months before it would reoccur. I discovered if I carefully switched the ignition off and turned it on the engine would pick right up and go on. Again it might go a few minutes or a few months before the problem reoccurred. About 18 months ago I had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump. fuel filter etc replaced at a Ford dealer. The went through the ignition, fuel system and could neither make the problem show up or find that any codes had been set. But after I got it back the car ran like a champ until last week. I was returning from a visit and in the middle of Atlanta rush hour traffic the problem surfaced again. I had no choice but do the ignition on/off routine for the next 90 minutes. Let it sit over night and it has run like a top since. Fuel pump is fine and only 8000 miles on the new fuel filter. Any ideas?

To me, this sounds like a spark issue. Primary of the coil pack has a temp issue. Consider replacing ignition coil.
RockAuto.com has them for $40 to $80.

I would suggest joining a focus form/ford forum and seeing if any body can offer some insight or share a similar experience.

I wish i could help more. good luck

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
To me, this sounds like a spark issue. Primary of the coil pack has a temp issue. Consider replacing ignition coil.
RockAuto.com has them for $40 to $80.

+1 but I's get an OEM coil

Coils or ignition modules certainly can go out with heat, but turning the key on and off should not affect this.

Sounds like a fuel related thing. A pump or relay for it.
Maybe only a filter that is acting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back