2000 Ford E-350 5.4L 600,000 Miles

Second the request for data. Oil used? Filter? Was there a specific OCI?

Some more questions.....

Wasn't the 5.4 a 3v per cylinder? You list yours as 16v. Or maybe that came later in 2004 with the Triton?

Is this the first sampling you've done of your oil? If so, and you don't mind, what made you get a UOA at 597k? Thanks!
Econolines retained the 2v triton 5.4 from 1996-2016. They did not get the 3v 5.4

Since there are no more metals left to wear it should run forever right? 🤣
I'd be very mindful of the timing chains and guides if they're actually the originals. The oil analysis doesn't indicate that they're starting to let go, but I would still probably change them if you're planning to keep the van. If the chains break or jump, it'll wreck the valves and pistons since it's an interference motor.

Everything else looks exceptional. QSUD is very underrated. I wouldn't hesitate running your next OCI out to 5k.

I'd be very mindful of the timing chains and guides if they're actually the originals. The oil analysis doesn't indicate that they're starting to let go, but I would still probably change them if you're planning to keep the van. If the chains break or jump, it'll wreck the valves and pistons since it's an interference motor.

Everything else looks exceptional. QSUD is very underrated. I wouldn't hesitate running your next OCI out to 5k.
I agree the chains should be replaced but why not see how long it can go never touched its paid for itself many times over.

This is really awesome... Very impressive.

And it shows routine care is far more important than what oils are used. As long as the oils meet the correct spec for the motor.

And .. . That transmission fluid can be quite good even after many, many, many miles.

This is the 2-valve, 260HP/350Tq version of the Triton. I had one in my '03 FX4 F150. Some suffered from only a few threads in the head and shot their plugs out periodically. I was lucky and had the corrected heads, but have done many repairs back when I owned a shop. The 3 valve came out in 2004.

I'll third the oil used here. 600K miles and inquiring minds want to know!

Thank you. Clears it up. I had an 04 5.4 3v.

There are no wear metals left in the engine.
As our bearing/bushing engineer at Allison used to say, a good design doesn't wear out, it wears in! Would love to see a teardown of this engine/trans when it reaches end of life, but that may well be after I get to that point.

Back