2000 F350 7.3L Rotella T 5W-40 4,743mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the truck in February and dropped the oil right away. The truck was sitting for about 3+ years and the previous history is unknown. This Oil was in about 5 months. Mostly highway. There's about 300 miles on this towing 8,000lbs.

Blackstone comments: Buck looks great, based on data from testing. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,300 miles on the oil. This oil was in use a shorter duration than that, and suitably, wear metals were low and in accord with averages. This shows no evident problems developing at parts sharing the oil. The TBN of 7.5 is strong, showing lots of oil additive still active. No moisture, coolant, or excess fuel was noted. Try 6,500-7,000 miles on the next oil and resample to monitor.

Miles on oil: 4,743
Miles on Unit: 39,943
Makeup oil: 0

ALUMINUM - 2
CHROMIUM - 1
IRON - 10
COPPER - 2
LEAD - 3
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 43
NICKEL - 1
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 4
BORON - 87
SILICON - 12
SODIUM - 4
CALCIUM - 1298
MAGNESIUM - 975
PHOSPHORUS - 886
ZINC - 1162
BARIUM - 0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 12.55
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 68.5
Flashpoint in °F - 420
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - 0.3
TBN - 7.5

Wow, that TBN seems abnormally high to me, but I could be wrong. Wear looks really good, I'd say you got yourself a good truck/engine
thumbsup2.gif

It used probably 1/4th of a quart. Just that I could tell it was down a little bit on the dipstick.

Very decent report.

You got a used 7.3L S/D truck with only 35k miles on it, that had been sitting for 3 years? Man, what a nice find. That thing will last you forever with good care.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Very decent report.

You got a used 7.3L S/D truck with only 35k miles on it, that had been sitting for 3 years? Man, what a nice find. That thing will last you forever with good care.

Yeah, this was definitely a diamond in the rough. The original owner passed away. It was last registered in 2005. Never saw snow either since he drove it to Arizona in the winters. I'm hoping it will last a long time without any problems.

I was wondering if there are any comments on how other oils would do in ismiliar situations. I'd like to try Delvac 1 or Amsoil AME, just not convinced they are worth the cost....or are they? Any thoughts or experiences?

I would stick with the Rotella. My 7.3 has given me excellent service on it http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1427219&fpart=1

For pointers. Change rear axle flid use what Ford recomends + fords additve. Transfer case fluid (I use Mobil 1 ATF). Also put om a deep tranny pan and or an upgraded cooler. Heat is what kills the trannys. Buy some test strips for testing coolant.
I also would like 1st dibs if you ever decide to sell it. Last but not least go here. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

PS My truck did not like the AMSOIL AME. I tried it for 13,000 mi. Low oil pressure, Started seeping oil, rough idle. Straightened back up after putting Rotella back in it.

Last edited:
Being in MN, you'll likely get some benefit from a "synthetic" over a dino, but the ROI question is a bit more fuzzy.

RTS has proven itself time and time again. Would a group IV based PAO do that much better? I'm not sure sure, if ROI is your measuring stick. Would you get "better" protection by moving from RTS to Delvac 1, commensurate with the cost increase? I doubt it. RTS is kind of the "best buy"; very good performance for the dollar.

Very decent report.

You ain't kiddin! There are people out there that would give an appendage to have a low mileage 7.3! Especially with the troubles FoMoCo has had with their diesel engines since abandoning the tried and true 7.3 PSD.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
Very decent report.

You ain't kiddin! There are people out there that would give an appendage to have a low mileage 7.3! Especially with the troubles FoMoCo has had with their diesel engines since abandoning the tried and true 7.3 PSD.

That's the depressing part. The wife had a problem with buying a 9 year old pickup, but when you look at the problems all the newer ones have, one could easily spend half of what I have in this one within a year.

Also, if I was going to buy new, I wouldn't know what to buy. Seems like they all have terrible mileage and problems....or so I've been told.

Originally Posted By: madibob
Also, if I was going to buy new, I wouldn't know what to buy. Seems like they all have terrible mileage and problems....or so I've been told.

Not true at all. Keep in mind, that my truck is missing items that would make the fuel mileage suffer a bit
27.gif

With that said, I regularly get low 19's - 20.7 (best yet) MPG hand calcucated with all interstate driving with the cruise set at 75. This is the best mileage I've ever gotten with any vehicle I've owned my entire life.

My mileage is horrible pulling 11K lbs (10-12 MPG) through the hills, but I expect that pulling that kind of weight through the Ozark Mountains.

Not true at all. Keep in mind, that my truck is missing items that would make the fuel mileage suffer a bit
27.gif

With that said, I regularly get low 19's - 20.7 (best yet) MPG hand calcucated with all interstate driving with the cruise set at 75. This is the best mileage I've ever gotten with any vehicle I've owned my entire life.

My mileage is horrible pulling 11K lbs (10-12 MPG) through the hills, but I expect that pulling that kind of weight through the Ozark Mountains.

What do you get for mileage with nothing missing?

As I recall, Arka lost his exhaust equipment in an unfortunate accident shortly after purchase ... so I don't think he has any "pre-incident" mileage figures? I would agree that engine wise, the LMM seems to be the most reliable of the three (LMM, 6.4L, 6.7L) in the post DPF/EGR era, especially in stock form.

I agree that, for the Fords, the last two diesel engine designs have been a bit of a gamble for the consumer. Being a Ford man through and through, that's been hard for me to admit. If I could have found a cherry 7.3 PSD Super Duty like you did, I would have been all over that in a heartbeat; worth every penny you paid.

If I could make one very important recommendation for your new find, it would be to dump the coolant immediately, and recharge with new coolant. Make SURE to use either a coolant with anti-cavitation chemical already in it, or buy the seperate little bottle and add it to the new coolant. The owner's manual should have the frequency cycle for using the additive. I once spoke directly with a Navistar resident engineer in Indy (down the street from where I worked at Ford). He was emphatic about using the coolant anti-cavitation fluid. Without it's use, the cavitation can pit the outer cylinder walls, and can eventually eat right through the cylinder wall! Whatever the schedule is for the additive, use it, and you'll get hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles. The UOA from your "new" truck is the evidence of a good running vehicle. Keep it that way and you'll have a truck for life.

PS - you might carry a spare cam-position sensor with you; that is the only real "leave you stranded on the side of the road" issue with the 7.3PSD. Other than that, they truly are a great, reliable engine.

Last edited:

27.gif

I still have the DPF and the EGR open. Even still, I got 21.9 hand calculated on a tank hwy driving. I stuck to about 63 mph all the way (fairly painful), and I don't think I had any DPF regens on that tank. I can get 12-13 all day long pulling my 6500lb travel trailer at around 65 mph. I get around 13 mpg in stop and go city driving including regens. This truck uses on average (and at least) 1/3 less fuel than my previous tow vehicle, 4.10 geared Chev Avalanche with the 5.3L v8. And the fuel costs 15-20% less. Plus it's kind of a pig to drive around, so I almost never use it except for towing and hauling - saving me more fuel.

If I could have found a 35k mile 7.3L PSD, in mint condition I would have bought it.

Very decent report.

Not to mention if you do have a problem with the 7.3, they are still easy to work on.

I can't imagine diving into that 6.4 rat's nest. Those things look hard to work on out of the truck.
33.gif

As I recall, Arka lost his exhaust equipment in an unfortunate accident shortly after purchase ... so I don't think he has any "pre-incident" mileage figures? I would agree that engine wise, the LMM seems to be the most reliable of the three (LMM, 6.4L, 6.7L) in the post DPF/EGR era, especially in stock form.

I agree that, for the Fords, the last two diesel engine designs have been a bit of a gamble for the consumer. Being a Ford man through and through, that's been hard for me to admit. If I could have found a cherry 7.3 PSD Super Duty like you did, I would have been all over that in a heartbeat; worth every penny you paid.

If I could make one very important recommendation for your new find, it would be to dump the coolant immediately, and recharge with new coolant. Make SURE to use either a coolant with anti-cavitation chemical already in it, or buy the seperate little bottle and add it to the new coolant. The owner's manual should have the frequency cycle for using the additive. I once spoke directly with a Navistar resident engineer in Indy (down the street from where I worked at Ford). He was emphatic about using the coolant anti-cavitation fluid. Without it's use, the cavitation can pit the outer cylinder walls, and can eventually eat right through the cylinder wall! Whatever the schedule is for the additive, use it, and you'll get hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles. The UOA from your "new" truck is the evidence of a good running vehicle. Keep it that way and you'll have a truck for life.

PS - you might carry a spare cam-position sensor with you; that is the only real "leave you stranded on the side of the road" issue with the 7.3PSD. Other than that, they truly are a great, reliable engine.
Dumb question/comment-isn't a 2000 7.3 new enough to avoid the cavitation problem (no wet sleeves, now a parent bore engine)-I think I'd call around my friendly Ford dealers, score some low priced Premium Gold/GO5 coolant, flush it & forget it (for 4 years/60K miles or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back