2000 dodge stratus dies at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 dodge stratus, 2.4l 144000 miles. Car only runs if you keep on the gas pedal. Won't idle, just dies out. Only starts when you're on the pedal as well. Fuel delivery issue, fuel pump or filter? What does the bitog brain trust think?

Try a new air filter first they are cheap and more then likely you might need one.

I recommend cleaning off the mass air flow sensor, and the idle air control sensor.

Should use a fuel system cleaner if your into that thing. I recommend Berryman b12.

Might as well try to knock them all out at once for best results
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Try a new air filter first they are cheap and more then likely you might need one.

I recommend cleaning off the mass air flow sensor, and the idle air control sensor.

Should use a fuel system cleaner if your into that thing. I recommend Berryman b12.

Might as well try to knock them all out at once for best results
smile.gif

I would start with these first. If you are not 100% with what the issue is it is worth fixing what is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Ewag2983
2000 dodge stratus, 2.4l 144000 miles. Car only runs if you keep on the gas pedal. Won't idle, just dies out. Only starts when you're on the pedal as well. Fuel delivery issue, fuel pump or filter? What does the bitog brain trust think?

Dirty pintle on the Idle Air Control motor. A dirty throttle body can also contribute. Clean the TB and IAC, and you'll be good to go.

No MAF on Chrysler products, so that's a failure point that doesn't exist. They do have a MAP sensor that can get wonky, but a) its very rare compared to MAF problems, and b) when that happens they tend to throw a code quickly and won't run right OFF idle, either.

add 4 oz of marvel mystery oil to gas, and if you dont like marvel, then there are others to choose from, like a can of B-12 cleaner at wally world and so on.

What's the battery voltage with the engine on / off? It's not uncommon for Chrysler products of that era to not idle if the battery is low (and the alternator is working correctly)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Ewag2983

Dirty pintle on the Idle Air Control motor. A dirty throttle body can also contribute. Clean the TB and IAC, and you'll be good to go.

No MAF on Chrysler products, so that's a failure point that doesn't exist. They do have a MAP sensor that can get wonky, but a) its very rare compared to MAF problems, and b) when that happens they tend to throw a code quickly and won't run right OFF idle, either.

+1

Fairly common on older mopars. I've experienced it twice on my 2.5L 4 cylinder motors.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back