2000 Dodge Ram 1500 oil down 1/2 qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on my stepdad's 2000 Ram 1500 Sport today. After 10,200 miles the oil was down 1/2qt. The oil used was Mobil1 SS 10w30. Should that be considered normal for this engine? It's the 5.9L V8.

--Matt

A "mechanically sound engine" (according to Amsoil should use 1 to 2 oz. per 1000 miles. Yours is in that range. Of course regular oil consumption would be higher. If that has 10,000 miles on that change, I would not push it further without an oil analysis.

That is a low usage by any standard, but I imagine you probably knew that.

Most of the new vehicle manufacturers are now saying it is acceptable for new vehicles to use up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

How much your car uses depends partially on its age, and how it is driven. Harder driving at higher RPMs will tend to use more oil. Older engines will tend to use more oil than newer engines. Properly maintained engines will tend to use less oil that those that are not.

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
I changed the oil on my stepdad's 2000 Ram 1500 Sport today. After 10,200 miles the oil was down 1/2qt. The oil used was Mobil1 SS 10w30. Should that be considered normal for this engine? It's the 5.9L V8.

--Matt

Thats actually very good. Depends on driving conditions, oil used and age of engine.

it's a leased vehicle, It would have been interesting to see the analysis results on it. But I already dropped that oil off. It accumulates miles prety quickly, I'll catch some next change.

--Matt

A leased vehicle and your going with 10,200 mile oil change intervals? I hope they don't have any sort of engine problem. Are they going to keep it at the end of the lease? When I lease a vehicle, I use conventional oil......why put money into it unless your going to keep it?

well, we run synthetic oil in it so I don't have to change the oil on it all the time. 10,200 miles should be no problem at all on synthetic, the manual specifies 7500 on conventional oil anyways. There won't be engine problems, and no, they won't be buying this lease out.

--Matt

I don't think you have anything to worry about running 10k oil changes. My ex-employer has a '96 1500 with the Indianapolis Pace Truck package. 5.9L engine. Since new, he's run synthetic in it, changing it at the quick-lube places. Intervals? Whenever he'd remember, which is anywhere from 10k-20k. The truck is used for deliveries, and quite often it has been overloaded. He passed 200k sometime last year and the motor keeps going strong. It uses a little oil, but the "oil light only comes on after about 20k". Which is not that much actually. The weakest link in those trucks, from my experience, is the tranny. His went at about 180 with hardly any servicing during its entire life. Decent truck.

-Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back