2000 Chevy Impala P0742

Got a P0742 code popping up along with some odd behavior of the transmission. If I clear the code, it works normally for a short period and then reappears. Car has 89,000 miles and outside of a fluid and filter change, I'm not spending any more on repairs. Would a pan drop and filter change be worth trying? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:
It might help, it could also be the torque converter clutch solenoid. I can't imagine it is the torque converter at those miles.
I have done a TCC before, for me not so horrible.

The odds of fluid & filter change correcting a P0742 is slim to none unless it's already really low on fluid.

Though I do appreciate the honesty....No sense in me going through any kind of diagnostic strategy if you've already drawn the line!

Wanted to circle back on this thread. I did a pan drop and filter change a week ago, using Kendell Classic ATF and a Carquest filter. Refill took just under 8 quarts of fluid. Based on the magnet and the condition of the filter I don't believe it was ever serviced. Trans has been working well and the check engine light has not returned, knock on wood.

Would it be worth adding a bottle of Lubegard Red to further clean the valve body, etc?

Back