2000 Buick Century Intake Gaskets FUBAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
http://www.flatratetech.com/community/index.php?showtopic=30166

Hmm, sludged up lifters and valve train causing the oil starvation, that would do it. That engine looked a little gunked up to me.

When I did this job years ago on my GF's very well maintained 3.1L Olds Cutlass the engine internals were much cleaner, just some slight varnish and it had about 150,000 miles at the time as I recall.

Had same issue when I did the intake gaskets on my sons 3400 engine Impala. The 3100 and 3400 are essentially the same engine. The pushrods are dry and it will make a [censored] of a racket. I remedied this by just revving the engine and the clacking went away. The engine ran beautifully after that. I suppose you could take it apart again and fill the pushrods if you like but I wouldn't

Don

What cause the intake to crack? I am not understanding this at all, it got oil and was okay before but after a simple intake gasket job it doesn't get oil to one bank and makes all kinds of noise requiring new lifters and has a cracked intake?

The intake cracked because the Felpro gaskets weren't formed right.

Pics?

The intake cracked because the Felpro gaskets weren't formed right.

What caused the upper intake to crack?

Little update folks, following up from RedHat's comments.

We noticed that the dowels(?) on the lower intake gasket, that seat the gasket on the head, were metal on the Felpro gaskets, whereas the Dorman gaskets were rubber. I suspect this did not allow any movement of the gasket when the intake was bolted down. Based on the cracks on the lower intake in the center where those dowels are, this seems like the most plausible scenario. It's also good to assume the upper cracked because the lower never seated properly because of the gasket.

As for the noise on start up, when I was at work, my mechanic tested for oil pressure, and had adequate psi, so the bottom end had oil. He let it run for a bit, drove it for a few minutes, and now the motor is quieter than ever. Gunked up lifters is suspected, hopefully no long term damage was caused, but what happened, happened. I'll try to upload some pictures of the gaskets later today or possibly tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: JimmyJohns
Little update folks, following up from RedHat's comments.

As for the noise on start up, when I was at work, my mechanic tested for oil pressure, and had adequate psi, so the bottom end had oil. He let it run for a bit, drove it for a few minutes, and now the motor is quieter than ever. Gunked up lifters is suspected, hopefully no long term damage was caused, but what happened, happened. I'll try to upload some pictures of the gaskets later today or possibly tomorrow.

I thought he put all new stuff in this engine. Why would the new lifters be gunked up and need the pressure testing again with a new pump?

Quote:
Hello all, The guy finally picked up his car...... I ended up putting new lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms in it.

Quote:
So I reassembled the engine and gave it another try. Again, no prevail. :wallbash: I then tried Seafoam at my Shop Foreman's request and ran it for 45 minutes. Still nothing. The clatter from the lifters just seemed to get louder as the engine warmed up more and more. I then decided that maybe there was enough oil pressure, but not enough oil volume. Took the oil pan off (not fun btw), removed the oil pump and replaced it with a new one (Also cleaned out the sump screen). Got it all back together and ran it for a few minutes. I could tell that it was getting more oil and that a couple of the Intake pushrods were pushing oil, but still not all. Ran the vehicle at 1500 rpm for 2 minutes, still nothing. I let the vehicle sit over night and came in this morning and started it up. At first there was no noise at all, but as soon as it started to warm up, again the clattering noise came about.

I had a 3100 apart last month because of a chewed up roller on one lifter - after putting it back together it took several minutes and several start/stop cycles to get the lifters pumped up, but after that it was perfectly quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back