2000 BMW X5 3.0i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great for the age.

I would use any LL-01 oil. As far as I know LL-04 is meant for diesels and I wouldn't use it because of the low TBN and possibly other unknown formulation differences.

You can use this handy VIN decoder to find out what transmission you have. There should be a sticker on the transmission as well.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

So, we changed the engine oil and filter first time today. Oil looked and felt rather horrible, running but horrible.

I think we'll change them this week again as new oil looked quite brown already after 10 mile trip back home.

Transmission is A5S390R ie. 5L40-E and has this sticker on the oil pan:

xMi7zuU.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but first fill has been Dexron III and recommendation now is Dexron VI?

If Dexron VI is correct then I can fairly easy get Ravenol Dexron VI or Petro-Canada Dexron VI. Both cost about the same and require same trip to next town. Which to get or does it matter?

For starters.
smile.gif

Found a shop where 5l Motul jug was cheaper than the 4l Shell Helix Ultra where I usually go - a rare occasion.

13Oh0p1.jpg

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Suggest some tact.

Your opinion is welcome, but they way you offered it on a post where he was showing off his new ride AND asking for advice is not.

I notice you didn't even offer advice towards his question, instead just choosing to poo-poo his choice of vehicle.

Or was there something helpful in your post that I missed?

Edit: I'd also like to point out that "truthful opinion" is an oxymoron.

Precisely. It brings to mind the renowned "expert" from this thread.

Yeah "imagine that!!!" Lol

Dexron VI is backwards compatible with Dexron III on most transmissions. There might be some rare exceptions like Allison transmissions.

The PDS for Ravenol and Petro look identical so I don't think it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back