2000 Audi TT 1.8T questions re: Castrol & cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for those tips. I don't even have the car yet and I've already ordered the Haldex fluid!
I'm looking forward to driving her hard, but I take good care of my cars and always let them warm up/cool down.
I've read that the Haldex isn't effected by different tires like other AWD systems as it not a viscous coupling that suffers from slippage, but that it's controlled by a pump, and computer that make decisions based on multiple sensors. I still plan on trying to keep the tires matched, but I guess I'll have to look into it some more.

It's funny, when the TT first came out I didn't like the design, thought it was too similar to a vw bug. But now, 17 years later, I think they look great! Especially in black with upgraded rims like this one!

Originally Posted By: ZIPO

It's funny, when the TT first came out I didn't like the design, thought it was too similar to a vw bug. But now, 17 years later, I think they look great! Especially in black with upgraded rims like this one!

I always thought the little spoiler was odd until I was told it was a retro-fit along with the stability control as they had a tendency to swap ends on the Autobahn. After hiting a diesel spill on a sweeping corner at speed, I can vouch for the effectiveness of the stability control as a "get out of jail free" card. I used to turn it off for "spirited driving", but after than one I left it on a lot more often. Doesn't matter how good a driver you are, when the car can independently brake each wheel to control attitude, it can do something you can't.

My first ex-wife's VW Beetle turbo had a little spoiler at the top of the back glass that automatically deployed at highway speeds. Allegedly it could be manually raised with a switch on the dash but even when the car was new that switch didn't work all the time. The motor that drove the spoiler was NOISY from inside the cabin, hopefully the TT's is more isolated.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
My first ex-wife's VW Beetle turbo had a little spoiler at the top of the back glass that automatically deployed at highway speeds. Allegedly it could be manually raised with a switch on the dash but even when the car was new that switch didn't work all the time. The motor that drove the spoiler was NOISY from inside the cabin, hopefully the TT's is more isolated.

It was only the 1.8T Sport that got them. 2.slow and TDI's didn't get the motorized spoiler

That 1.8t felt REALLY quick at the time. It was Reflex Yellow with black leather, kind of a hotrod chick car. It was also NOT a great car from the reliability perspective...lots of electrical quirks. I should have known it was going to be a problem child when we had owned it for 24 hours, rolled onto the parking lot at a funeral home, wound down the passenger side window so they could put the FUNERAL sticker on the inside of the glass for the procession to the cemetery(instead of the flags they use in OH)and the window regulator fell apart, dropping the door glass into the door. The instruments would periodically black-out and the needles would all drop to zero. The noisy, uncooperative spoiler motor...the list goes on and on. It was fun when it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back