2000 4Runner 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I couldn't sleep last night so I ended up here. Or was it a bad dream?

I went to the Mobil US and EU sites to the oil recommended area and looked up my vehicle.

At the US site it recommended 5w-30 API SN.

At the EU site (I picked United Kingdom) it recommended 5w-40 ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4.

No other grades were options at either site.

Comments?

And thanks to all that contribute...

5W40? Seems thick for Europe--I could see that down under, but bit surprised. Maybe I shouldn't be.

Anyhow: not sure what the question is. That 3.4L is pretty well known, and known for longevity, and that was with oils from back then. If this is new to you I'd just dump in about any 5W30 and not think about it. Maybe if you're towing I could see 5W40, especially if you noted oil pressure dropping at hot.

0w40 A3/B4 is the go to oil for most Japanese engines in many parts of Europe. In Germany your 3.4 is spec'd for 0w40 with no alternative.
I would run 0w40 without reservation. The Mobil 1 0w40 FS is a light 40 with a nice add package and cheap at Wally's.

I had a 97 4Runner with the same engine. It ran great on 5w-30 M1 and Amsoil SSO. Sold it with 216k and still running strong.

Try the Castrol site for the heck of it, trying the Canadian, American, and UK sites, for the heck of it. In reality anything from an ordinary SN/GF-5 (or older, given the year of the vehicle) 5w-30 or any A3/B4 of any viscosity would be suitable. An HDEO would be suitable, too.

I can't speak for the sites or the OEMs, but sometimes going with the simplest solution is the best. A3/B3 and A3/B4 are more readily available in Europe than in North America; at least the availability in North America has improved over the last number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back