200,000 miles is in fact rare, only 1% of vehicles reach it

I really thought that more than 1% of vehicles reached 200K miles in their lifetime. I guess the good folks here at BITOG really understand how to maintain a vehicle properly. I'd guess we exceed the norm here.

From the Autoweek article, the top 16 vehicles that achieve 200K miles:

Quote "Granted, very few cars, trucks or SUVs clear 200,000 miles in their lifetimes. The average for all vehicles is just one percent of them ever reach the 200k mark"

What I find interesting is that the article also lists the percentage of each model of vehicle that reach the 200K goal. Toyota is very well represented in the top tier. With the Toyota Land Cruiser taking the lead followed by the Toyota Sequoia. Then the Suburban and a Ford, and more Toyotas.

Says the data was gathered on 11.8 million trade in’s.
What about the regular ole Joe beating up and down the road everyday in his 250K miler ?🤔
There’s plenty of guys posting here that have high mileage cars and trucks that’s not included in this info. I’d bet the numbers are higher than what’s reported

I think accidents and weather events take a lot of vehicles off the road as well. Once you get some miles and years, it doesn't take much to total a vehicle especially if the airbags and seat belt pretensioners deploy.

That's the thing, I don't believe it's very common. Many people trade in their clunkers instead of junking them.

This has more to do with the fact that a car under 12 years old has a 99% chance of going back to the dealer
and a car over 15 years old has a 99% chance of not going to the dealer .

That said an overwealmingly large number of used and minorly damaged cars get exported because foreign buyers pay far more for our junk than can be had locally.

This has destroyed the used market and skews the metric you are looking at
Also kills the low end market and made it a lot harder to get parts cars.

Unfortunate really

The majority of cars I see at junk yards have under 200,000.
That is because for many years you got more for your car at the wrecker than on Craigslist.

It also doesn’t help that a small dent in the rear quarter panel can junk many older cars, it used to be no one had full coverage and would live with or quickly fix, now everyone has full coverage on their 25 yr old car and takes the payoff for a minor issue and the driveable car gets branded as junk with a minor problem.
If the car is the least bit desirable it will quickly move intact from the wrecker to an overseas buyer who will fix it up.

Last edited:
Wow. Almost every one of my father's vehicles got to 200K. They were typically crown vic, or GM work van. GM work van 3-500K, crown vic, they die at 220-250K with the 4.6L, about 20-40K less with the 5.0 pushrod.
This!

I don’t even think about getting rid of a car until it crosses the 200K miles mark.

I currently have two in the fleet that are over 220K and still going strong.

With maintenance 200K is easy to reach.

When someone is just putting around town for a decade + without many long trips or long commutes, there's a lot more wear on the vehicles than what the mileage would ever show. It takes a really long time to hit 200K miles driving less than 10 miles a day.

Based on trade-ins, that's probably accurate. I think the real number is more than 1% though probably still not high. I've always figured ~5% will reach 200k miles.

Back