20 Years of 5w20 at Ford

So being hard to find curious minds would like to know what did you really use or did you just take it to the dealer or oil store?
LOL! That was just prior or maybe just into the beginning of my BITOG days, so I thought the engine would surely destroy itself if I didn't use that exact viscosity range and change it at a 3 month, 3000 mile interval. At the time I used to buy my oil at the local Advance Auto or Autozone who did carry 5w20.

Hopefully these posted correctly...if not will re-post from computer later. Basically Ford and Honda requested 20 grade oils to help with mpg ratings - to help comply with CAFE.

Good info! Thanks.

Regarding the request for approval to use 5W20:

Didn't know EPA gets into the viscosity details ... I would have guessed that they look at cars or engines as a black box and regulate it at that (high) level. e.g. short/long term emissions, fuel economy, etc.

Another not so serious but kind of serious question. just curious about this.

How does leakage and/or seepage of using thinner oils come into the EPA long term regulation/study?
you read that thinner oils leak or seep more when the engines get old ... Is there a long term study or consideration for that?
Maybe they consider the impact minimal relative to savings from the fuel pollution.

Hopefully these posted correctly...if not will re-post from computer later. Basically Ford and Honda requested 20 grade oils to help with mpg ratings - to help comply with CAFE.

HA! *as I look at the jug of QSUD 10W30 that I bought tonight on the way home that's going in my 0W20 spec Honda:D*

CAFE certainly existed long prior to late-90's, early 2000's. But 5W-20 existed in the 1960's and is recommended in many a GM manual as a winter oil...

neighbor just traded his F150, the last not aluminum model with surface rust + needing ANOTHER chain replacement!! dealer serviced with too thin oil + too long intervals!!!

Back