20 Years of 5w20 at Ford

Dont most 5w-30's shear down to a 20 relatively quickly?
So you could say most have been running 20 weights anyway for 20 years😁
I think that's an exception rather than the norm these days, maybe years ago that was the case. The UOA reports I've done showed 5W30 [brand name quality oil] stayed in grade in severe service use in all of the vehicles I used it in. Hundreds of other UOA I read show similar results, unless fuel dilution was an issue, and if that were the case a 20 grade would have sheared to a 10 grade, not good. ;)

You have to make a synthetic 5W-20 blend whether is says it or not to achieve SJ or greater. Nearly every conventional oil sold in the US is now advertised as a blend. Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Castrol were longtime holdouts but now admit their conventional oils are blends. A former poster here that was a retired SOPUS employee known as Johnny stated that PYB was essentially either GII+ or a blend of GII + GIII and it was actually cheaper to make a blend than a pure "conventional" given the volume of base stocks available. This was over ten years ago...

Motorcraft is essentially ConocoPhilips and is very similar to Philps66 or Kendall. They do indeed have have a full syn line but it is hard to find here outside of a Ford dealership. Some parts stores carried it here but it was clearanced out awhile ago. Some think Motorcraft syn 5W-50 is unicorn tears in a red bottle, it's used in some Mustangs I think...
Phillips 66 hydro processes Grp3 …
P66 not COP anymore … Both listed on the stock market … COP is into E&P (upstream) …

I think that's an exception rather than the norm these days, maybe years ago that was the case. The UOA reports I've done showed 5W30 [brand name quality oil] stayed in grade in severe service use in all of the vehicles I used it in. Hundreds of other UOA I read show similar results, unless fuel dilution was an issue, and if that were the case a 20 grade would have sheared to a 10 grade, not good. ;)
Are any of these engines DI?
We have 2 DI engines and both really dilute the 30 weights to 20 in quick order, we do a lot if short trip driving in cold climates.
Since almost every new car is now DI....makes you wonder.

Are any of these engines DI?
We have 2 DI engines and both really dilute the 30 weights to 20 in quick order, we do a lot if short trip driving in cold climates.
Since almost every new car is now DI....makes you wonder.
None are DI. Having said that a DI engine would probably dilute a 20 grade oil in quick order as well, especially under the conditions you mentioned. The hundreds of other UOA I referred to were a mix of FI and DI. Fuel dilution is fuel dilution, however it is usually but not always worse in the case of DI,especially in the early years of DI.

Thanks Guys, I had only seen the synblend on PQIA so I missed the full synthetic version. But I should have realised it was around given the Motorcraft and Phillips66 / Kendall relationship.

How long do you think full synthetic has been available at Ford dealerships ? Is it more recent or has it been around for years.

Motorcraft Full Synthetic has been around for a while, probably close to 20 years. Advance Auto Parts carried it for a while here but clearanced all of it maybe 3-5 years ago...

Def been around since before 2009: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/motorcraft-full-synthetic-5w20.114803/

Reactions: SR5
And ford now specifies 5w30 for the 5.0 in the F150, starting on the 2021 models. The coyotes of 2011-20 all called for 5w20... so why the change in a time that the world seems to be going thin?...
Interesting. You may hear things like to reduce warranty claims, that usually gets people all worked up.
27.gif
I'm certain whatever the reason is, we will never know for sure.

Back