20 micron range for delco/supertech??

Hi all! I'm pondering. I know,a.c. Delco oil filters,are 98% @ 30 um. Supertech, 99%@30um. What would be the 20 microns range for them? I read for delco,it was 94%@20um. And..percolator red can. 96.5%@20 um. The 3 1/2 %...is 30um? Completely unfiltered?

In basicaly,doing an oil change,by next month.plan on using 10w30 Pennzoil platinum full synthetic I got on clearance autozone,back in 2013. For summer coming. Best filtering,from3 filters above in thread?

The "3.5%" that's not getting filtered can be a whole range of particle sizes, but that 3.5% getting through will be mostly everything below 20 microns if the efficiency was 96.5% >= 20 microns.

I read for delco,it was 94%@20um. And..percolator red can. 96.5%@20 um. The 3 1/2 %...is 30um? Completely unfiltered?
So basicaly,the a.c. Delco and supertech filters,filter better,than purolator?
96.5% @ 20u is more efficient than 94% @ 20u.

98% @ 30u and 99% @ 30u are most likely worse than 94% @ 20u.

I see!.I on e remember a mechanic,at a Mobil has station,when I first got my lusence,1992.just turning 17. He told me,too always use 93 octane,extra detergency,keeps the CAT clean. Drove a 83 Buick century,and sometimes,a91 saturn. But he also told me,never use frams,cardboard endcaps,didn't like them..at all.junk. Use OEM filters only,proper bypass. Said the GM would filter 98% of everything. Just change oil and filter every 3,000 miles,and nothing should go wrong.The engine would last 300,000 miles,and be clean. It will eventualy,get the smaller stuff..kinda still reme!bet that day. He had a Woodstock head..bushy magnet curly blonde hair,go tee trimmed,kinda like Jimmie Hendrix got half haircut lol. Older school. I do know,the owner,was old school,and couldn't understand or keep up with even then,modern sensors on an engine.
So! The a.c. Delco had me thinking. 98%30 microns.what percentage of 20 microns and smaller,would it filter out?
And it seems,superhero and delco...identicals.

I would not overthink this. These and most quality filters will do a good job of filtering the oil. Some of the high end filters can go longer than 7500 miles. If you want to seriously get better filtering you need a bypass filter.

marketing is almost always deceiving. machinerylubrication has the truth about filtration + in a nutshell none of them tell what you need to know, pick a good brand, + on that many brands are owned by few! i still dont trust Fram!!!

You can fine the numbers down even more and start selecting based on tenths of a percent and one micron particle differences. This is on paper.
Particles are not even accurate to these micron ranges. Imagine tiny potatoes, in one direction they may be 20 microns +- 5, in the long direction 45+- 10. Some are pieces of cotton or plastic. Some are shard looking. There is no perfect 20 micron particle, or 30.

Doesn't really matter what the exact "shape" of the test dust is - it's size is measurable with the proper test equipment. ISO 4548-12 calls out a required test dust and that test dust is controlled to be a certain composition.

Basically it been a long time since the standard has been 99+ % at 20 Microns. Its time they require the filter all have their efficiency at 20 microns right on the box in print. Also it may be time to move that rating be taken at 10 or 12 Microns.

No real standardized rules of reporting are required - up to the filter manufacture of course. When a manufacturer has an efficiency vs particle size test result like shown below, they will typically report in the 95% or greater realm (ie, 96% @ 40u in this case). Reporting it as 45% @ 20u (as shown in the graph) wouldn't fly real well in the advertisement of the efficiency). Most people who don't hand out here don't even know what a micron is.

ISO 4548-12 Efficiency vs Particle Size Data Graph.

ISO 4548-12 Typical Efficiency Test Data Graph.JPG

Test Dust Specs for ISO 4548-12 Tests.

ISO 4548-12 Test Dust.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter what the exact "shape" of the test dust is - it's size is measurable with the proper test equipment. ISO 4548-12 calls out a required test dust and that test dust is controlled to be a certain composition.

I didn’t use the words “test dust” anywhere in my post. Cars don’t get ”test dust.” They get ungraded dust. Whatever works for your happiness and contentment I like. I think you are settled on the Ultra, so that should be a done decision then? Wonderful choice. So all done then.

^^^ The subject being discussed is filter efficiency, so just pointing out the ISO testing details. No need to get triggered, which seems to be a common BITOG theme going on these days - breath and relax. ;)

Back