20% gear oil in a five quart motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would drain it as soon as possible. The EP additive (sulphur content) of the gear oil is not good for the internal combustion engine.
Agree.

A oil change is your best friend right now.

Originally Posted By: montero91
My daughter grabbed the wrong jug to top off the oil and may have added a 1/2 to a full quartof 80w90, what could happen here? thank-you.

I guess she didn't read the bottle before pouring it into the engine. She must have grabbed the bottle with the easy pour spout.
crazy2.gif
Excellent excuse to change the motor oil and filter. Gear oils have different friction modifiers than motor oil and have a low TBN.

Last edited:
Agreed, get it out of there ASAP.
thumbsup2.gif

Then I would do a shorter run with some cheap regular oil and then change out and go back to what you are used to.

cheers3.gif

Sorry guys now she says it was the other jug, they are all blue from wallymart, so it turns out it was old atf in an oil jug any hurt with this?

My daughter grabbed the wrong jug to top off the oil and may have added a 1/2 to a full quartof 80w90, what could happen here? thank-you.

When in doubt, change it out.

Thanks because I just changed the oil about a month ago and the atf came out of the tranny( the pan holds about two quarts and I do this every oil change)

Originally Posted By: Junior

When in doubt, change it out.

Just change it out... you sleep better at night. Rather than worrying if its 1 qt of MTF or 1/2 qt of ATF or some other fluids that don't belong in the engine. Today is Saturday you know what you have to do.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you wash the motor out with brake clean there shouldn't be any harm.
Be nice!
LOL.gif

Just change the oil ASAP and don't worry...
grin2.gif

It seems like nobody is sure what exactly is in there. Why not change it just to be safe? None of what you have said belongs in there.

Someone said it above.

Change the oil & filter with some cheapo stuff. Go drive around a while and then change it again with the normal oil & filter. Since what's in there seems to still be a mystery I wouldn't drive it all all until you've done this. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back